Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Moving April 1 -- should I kasher for Pesach right away?

chanahlady

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 2:11 pm
We IYH are moving to a new apartment on April 1. So....... Should I kasher the new apartment's kitchen to make it pesadik right away, so I don't have to kasher it twice, one for regular, then a few days later for Pesach? What about that week before Pesach starts -- how do we eat then? Should I kasher everything, but only use a small part of the kitchen until Pesach for chometz, then kasher that right before Pesach?

There's only one sink, and we are vegetarians so we keep only a milchig kitchen. I do have a chometz toaster oven and a pesadik toaster oven, so maybe I can get away with just sealing the apartment's oven and avoiding it entirely for now.

Aidelmom

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 2:19 pm
We moved one time 2 weeks before pesach. We didn't bring in chometz for that time and it worked out fine as I recall. But we didn't kasher at all. (porcelain sink) for trief or pesach just cover for pesach and during the year (and pesach of course) no using hot water. We ended up going out to eat a lot or eating kitnios or egg matzoh. This was when I was a kid.

zigi

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 2:21 pm
when I got married I did it like that, we ate a lot of sandwiches and cup of soups and food you can make in a micro wave. it was a mechaya to eat real food on pesach.

YALT

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 2:26 pm
YES!
I never made pesach myself yet, but it's 1 week b4 pesach!
Why don't you cook & freeze now, so that then, when you'll be so busy anyways, you won't have to figure out where all your pots are.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 2:27 pm
Keep it for Pesach, IMHO.

I'm also planning to move into my new apt starting then....but only enough to make Pesach, and sell my old kitchen, clean my old apt k'halachah, etc. Move in clothes, keilim, pack n play, mattresses, and move in basically for pesach.

Then move everything else out after pesach. It was worth the little bit of extra rent for the overlap to save my sanity.

You can eat a lot that is kosher l'pesach. Except for gebrokts, I'll cook pesachdik food that I wouldn't eat ON pesach in the days preceeding pesach. (ie. processed things, spices I wouldn't eat on pesach due to chumrah/minhag,etc)

chanahlady

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 2:34 pm
Hmmm... maybe I can kasher for Pesach right away. So we can eat Pesadik food before Pesach and just avoid matzah, using matzah ashirah instead?

Sadly our freezer is too small and packed with stuff for me to cook before and freeze...

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 3:34 pm
I did it 2 years ago and iyh I will do it again this year. its worth it to go for pizza every nite for a week than to pay another months rent. hatzlacha

morahaviva

Post Wed, Mar 11 2009, 9:39 pm
Definitely keep the kitchen pesachdik!!! The rest of the house you can clean again if you bring in food, or cook by a relative or neighbor but dont do the work when you dont have to !!

ss321

Post Thu, Mar 12 2009, 7:31 am
absolutely. when my parents moved (15+ yrs ago) I remember my mom did this. It was like rite btwn purim and pesach
Makes your life so much easier!
go out to eat alot, take out, easy simple meals that dont require bread (or matza for that matter lol!)

chanahlady

Post Thu, Mar 12 2009, 11:06 am
Thanks ladies. I am getting OVERWHELMED with moving details so it helps not to have to kasher twice (DH is sweet but he doesn't really know how to help... Smile

louche

Post Thu, Mar 12 2009, 12:56 pm
You'd be insane NOT to.

curlytop

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 12:13 am
I am IYH moving as well about 2 weeks before Pesach.
I have a silbling's wedding 2 days later, with Sheva Brochos and all, so I doubt I will be home much.
I definitely am thinking about it as I pack, I doubt I will keep the entire house Pesachdik for 2+ weeks, its not my type, but it will be a lot easier to clean up!
One good thing about all this packing!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics