Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Stove on holidays

sequoia

Post Fri, Mar 13 2009, 6:55 am
Why can't you turn the gas stove on and off on yom tov? The pilot light is always on.

anonymom

Post Fri, Mar 13 2009, 7:26 am
If you have a pilot light, you have an old stove. They don't make those anymore. The problem is with the new ones that have electronic ignition (a clicking sound). For this we have a switch put in to override the electronic ignition, and then we can turn on the gas without hearing the click and then we can take from a fire that was lit before Yom Tov. You may transfer a fire (from pilot or candle), but not create a new one.

You may not put out a fire on YT because it is not needed for cooking. So if you turned it on, it stays on. My husband does not like it to stay on, so he has been known to open the window, and when the wind blows the fire out, you can turn off the gas.

sequoia

Post Fri, Mar 13 2009, 7:30 am
I do have an old stove with a pilot light. So you are saying that I can turn it on but not off?

anonymom

Post Fri, Mar 13 2009, 7:34 am
I really dont want to pasken. The Vaad Hakashrus of Baltimore (Star K) has rabbonim who can answer questions about appliances. You can call 410-484-4110.

Aidelmom

Post Fri, Mar 13 2009, 7:40 am
You are allowed to turn on a stove w/ a pilot light on on yom tov. You are not allowed to turn it off. They sell a timer here to turn the gas off. anon I don't know if that opening the window thing is ok.

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Mar 13 2009, 7:41 am
You can turn it on if you have a pilot light and you can raise the temperature... but you cannot lower the temp or turn it off.

sequoia

Post Fri, Mar 13 2009, 7:43 am
Wait why can't you lower the temperature? You can't decrease the light at all?

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Mar 13 2009, 7:43 am
sequoia wrote:

Correct.

shalhevet

Post Fri, Mar 13 2009, 7:49 am
You are sometimes allowed to lower the light - I can't remember the details - if you need to for the sake of the food ie it's going to burn, but not just to save the gas.

I also don't think the window thing is okay. I think you are allowed to boil water so that it will overflow and turn off the gas IF you use the water afterwards for coffee or something.

I don't remember all the details - I might well be wrong. I think it's all in Shemiras Shabbos K'hilchoso and check with your LOR.

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Mar 13 2009, 7:54 am
shalhevet wrote:
You are sometimes allowed to lower the light - I can't remember the details - if you need to for the sake of the food ie it's going to burn, but not just to save the gas.

I also don't think the window thing is okay. I think you are allowed to boil water so that it will overflow and turn off the gas IF you use the water afterwards for coffee or something.

I don't remember all the details - I might well be wrong. I think it's all in Shemiras Shabbos K'hilchoso and check with your LOR.

I was told the boiling water thing is questionable at best. I was told not to do it.

I know in Israel you can buy a device called "haGaz" which will put your gas on a timer. We don't have one because we haven't been home for YT very much, but I'm thinking of getting one before Pesach to use for the 7th day. My IL have it and it seems to do the job nicely.

shalhevet

Post Fri, Mar 13 2009, 7:59 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

I was told the boiling water thing is questionable at best. I was told not to do it.

I never did it - just heard it. Thanks for putting me right.

Quote:
I know in Israel you can buy a device called "haGaz" which will put your gas on a timer. We don't have one because we haven't been home for YT very much, but I'm thinking of getting one before Pesach to use for the 7th day. My IL have it and it seems to do the job nicely.

We looked into it, but especially with only 1 day YT here, it would take years of gas savings to pay back the price of the hagaz.

Barbara

Post Fri, Mar 13 2009, 10:09 am
YESHASettler wrote:
sequoia wrote:

Correct.

CYLOR. As I understand it, you can lower the flame for cooking reasons -- eg, you need to bring something to a boil, then simmer for an hour. Maybe that's not a universal pasken, though.

JC

Post Fri, Mar 13 2009, 10:47 am
They do still make ovens with pilot lights, they are small ones 24"
Hotpoint @ Sams club

sequoia

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 9:37 am
Thanks for all the replies!

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 10:58 am
anonymom wrote:
If you have a pilot light, you have an old stove. They don't make those anymore. The problem is with the new ones that have electronic ignition (a clicking sound). For this we have a switch put in to override the electronic ignition, and then we can turn on the gas without hearing the click and then we can take from a fire that was lit before Yom Tov. You may transfer a fire (from pilot or candle), but not create a new one.

You may not put out a fire on YT because it is not needed for cooking. So if you turned it on, it stays on. My husband does not like it to stay on, so he has been known to open the window, and when the wind blows the fire out, you can turn off the gas.
Like others have said the window thing is extremely problematic. On Shabbos, you are not allowed to open a window near lit flames, because the draft may blow out the flame. (Kitzur SA ch. 80, par. 2. ARSA 277 par. 1-4)

Regarding Yom Tov, see ARSA hilchos Yom Tov - 514 par. 10 :
Quote:
It is assur to put a lit flame in a place where the wind prevails, even if no wind is blowing, this is a gezerah that maybe he will put it there when the wind is blowing and it will come to extinguishing it, and although he does not have any intention of extinguishing it, still, since the wind is slowing it is inevitable not to be extinguished, and likewise it is assur to open a door or window opposite the lit flame even if the wind is not blowing at all, as explained in ch. 277 regarding Shabbos, look into it there

however, it is allowed to open opposite a "medurah" (torch) even when the wind blows, since it doesn't extinguish but rather makes it burn.
If the result is that the flame goes out, even when not b'miskaven, one may not do this, all the more so if that was the kavanah!

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 11:05 am
I don't understand how that timer might be ok, I learned that with timers you can't do it for food - you can for lights (not that we do, because we can't figure out how Smile) but not for electric blechs or anything like that ask your lor.

And, re the boiling of water over, I also heard that's what you can do, or lower it so your food doesn't burn. Ask your lor - and Shalhevet, don't we not pasken by imamother, or do you know rachel eve irl?

merelyme

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 3:45 pm
edit.

Last edited by merelyme on Sat, Jan 26 2013, 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

anonymom

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 11:18 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
anonymom wrote:

Like others have said the window thing is extremely problematic. On Shabbos, you are not allowed to open a window near lit flames, because the draft may blow out the flame. (Kitzur SA ch. 80, par. 2. ARSA 277 par. 1-4)

Regarding Yom Tov, see ARSA hilchos Yom Tov - 514 par. 10 :
Quote:
It is assur to put a lit flame in a place where the wind prevails, even if no wind is blowing, this is a gezerah that maybe he will put it there when the wind is blowing and it will come to extinguishing it, and although he does not have any intention of extinguishing it, still, since the wind is slowing it is inevitable not to be extinguished, and likewise it is assur to open a door or window opposite the lit flame even if the wind is not blowing at all, as explained in ch. 277 regarding Shabbos, look into it there

however, it is allowed to open opposite a "medurah" (torch) even when the wind blows, since it doesn't extinguish but rather makes it burn.
If the result is that the flame goes out, even when not b'miskaven, one may not do this, all the more so if that was the kavanah!

I just learned the source you quoted with my husband, and it does quote an opinion that says it's Ussur, but in the end it paskens like the RMA, who says it is muttar. My husband may tend to find Kulos, but he does know how to learn and interpret the sources.

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 12:52 am
shalhevet wrote:
RachelEve14 wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

I never did it - just heard it. Thanks for putting me right.

Quote:

We looked into it, but especially with only 1 day YT here, it would take years of gas savings to pay back the price of the hagaz.

Sorry Shelhevet I wasn't trying to imply you did it, I was just saying the OP should check because even a very modern rav I spoke to once said it's not really okay to do, so the OP should check out if it's okay in her community.

I was thinking about the hagaz becaues I don't like leaving the gas on for 2 days straight (Rosh HaShana) and I do love soup. I don't know how much they cost though. Maybe we'll just keep using our handy crockpot for the second day.

hila

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 2:02 am
I LOVE my Chagaz !
I use it not only for YT but sometimes during teh week - if I put up soup and want it to simmer for a while and I have to go out or go to bed, I just set teh timer and the gas goes out.

And for Chag it is wonderful, especially for a 2 or 3 day chag. You can cook repeatedly. Just remember to turn off the electronic starter before chag.

And it was about 200sh.

Naybe it does not pay for saving gas, but it pays in convenience, and I hate leaving the gas on all night. It feels pretty unsafe to me
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions