Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Ketchup

Pineapple

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 8:51 am
Does anyone have a good pesachdic ketchup recipie?

Thanks

bubby

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 9:12 am
Yes...the Spice & Spirit Pesach cookbook has a good one. I use it, but last year I didn't follow it properly...when I did it worked very well.

Pineapple

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 9:16 am
bubby do you think it will work well if I use lemon juice instead of vinegar

Is the garlic for taste?

bubby

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 9:19 am
It has vinegar??? I haven't pulled out my stuff yet, so I can't say if we're using the same recipe. I only use lj, I don't use garlic or vinegar or anything. Hmmm. Confused

Pineapple

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 9:20 am
It calls for 1 up cider vinegar and 2 cloves of garlic minced - I dont use either

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 10:35 am
I just started using garlic in the past year or two, when we were taught it wasn't minhag LUb to avoid it. Pepper too.

It made a WORLD of difference !!!!!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 10:37 am
Pineapple wrote:
It calls for 1 up cider vinegar and 2 cloves of garlic minced - I dont use either

I would say it's definately worth trying with the lemon juice, and minced onion instead of garlic.
Unless of course someone has a tried and true recipe that doesn't call for the vinegar and garlic.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 10:39 am
That's a loooooot of squeezing lemons to do, though. I just buy ketchup for the kids.

StrongIma

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 10:42 am
chocolate moose wrote:
That's a loooooot of squeezing lemons to do, though. I just buy ketchup for the kids.
yes, we do squeeze quite a lot of lemons and oranges for pesach - the kids love that job ever since we got an electric citrus juicer!

Emuna

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 10:45 am
Choc Moose - please explain about the garlic! I was taught the opposite.

StrongIma

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 10:51 am
Emuna wrote:
Choc Moose - please explain about the garlic! I was taught the opposite.

there are some lubav's that use garlic and others that don't - do what your own rav/mashipia says.

bubby

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 11:14 am
To get back to the recipe...I remember it uses peeled tomatoes, onions, lj, & sugar. Probably some salt as well. As we boil our sugar I make the full batch before Pesach. I never would use a recipe that calls for garlic or vinegar, but I don't remember if there is more than one in the book. It may be the recipe is in the old, yellow covered paperback book...I have that one, too. But I'm surprised about garlic if it's in a Lubavitch cookbook.

My advice when deciding what to use or not: DO NOT TAKE OUR WORD FOR IT! Always ask your Rav or Mashpia. My minhagim aren't yours & vice versa. each to his own! Pomegranate, as soon as I pull out my cookbooks I'll find it & post. But it will probably be no more than a week before (unless DS comes home early to change over the kitchen)

Emuna

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 11:31 am
I appreciate everyone's advice, but I'm still curious about choc moose and where she got her info.

bubby

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 11:45 am
So ask her...PM her. But this shouldn't be a forum for paskening. Whatever chocolate moose says, it is your responsibility to ask for yourself. For example, you wouldn't take on someone else's heter would you??

Emuna

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 5:01 pm
A little hormonal are we??? Rolling Eyes

Pineapple

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 5:50 pm
Bubby sorry I didnt see orignially that you wrote spice and spirt PESACH - I was looking in the reg. one

If you dont mind can you please post the recipe that you have when you get a chance

Thanks

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 7:51 am
Can somebody who has the Pesach Spice and Spirit cookbook post the ketchup recipe? Pretty please?
Thank you!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 7:57 am
you can pm me if you don't get it.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 26 2010, 9:06 am
chocolate moose wrote:
you can pm me if you don't get it.

Thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics