Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Passaic

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 4:36 pm
we are thinking of moving to passaic but I really dont know much about it. I have heard that it really depends on the area/block you live on as far as what "type", how friendly, etc. ill give you an idea of what "type" we are. we are upper twenties, closer to yeshivish than modern but dh works, not in kollel (started out learning). we have 3 kids. we're looking for an affordable house thats close to the city as dh has a job there already.
can anyone tell me anything helpful about passaic? is it friendly? is it warm? which are the areas that have young people?
also, ive heard mixed reports about the boys schools? there is a new one that is supposed to be better (or not yet established enough...). any information would help.
thanks!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 11:06 pm
anyone?

octopus

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 11:08 pm
you might want to try the clifton cheder. I don't live in passaic but my sister is soon moving there (she already sends her kid there). They are choosy who they let in to the school, but there whole approach to learning is amazing. It's a Montessori school and combines math and chumash! I wish there was a school like that where I live.

As far as I know, passaic has all kinds- and that is part of the beauty of it. can't give you help about blocks or anything.

mommee

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 11:36 pm
I don't know anything about Passaic but I'm interested as well and would put myself in the same "category" as you....

amother

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 12:35 am
I live in Passaic - there are 3 schools here - Yeshiva Ketana (the largest of the 3), which is a yeshivish school, YBH (Yeshivas Beis Hillel), which I would characterize is right wing YU, and the Cheder, which bases itself on a Montessori approach and is the smallest of the three.

Passaic is a wonderful and warm town...reknown for its Chessed, with a simple, non materialistic feel to it (which we love). People here are really friendly (or so we've found). The whole town is something like 2-3 miles so it isn't that huge...but the area near the yeshiva is more "yeshivish", with larger and older families in the homes there, while the side near Yeshiva Ketana boys is mixed a little more and has a younger feel. The whole town also has a large baal teshuva population as well.

I don't think I could speak about specific blocks per se...although there are definetly some all frum blocks.

Please post any other questions you have and I will try to answer them.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 30 2009, 12:45 am
amother wrote:
I live in Passaic - there are 3 schools here - Yeshiva Ketana (the largest of the 3), which is a yeshivish school, YBH (Yeshivas Beis Hillel), which I would characterize is right wing YU, and the Cheder, which bases itself on a Montessori approach and is the smallest of the three.

Passaic is a wonderful and warm town...reknown for its Chessed, with a simple, non materialistic feel to it (which we love). People here are really friendly (or so we've found). The whole town is something like 2-3 miles so it isn't that huge...but the area near the yeshiva is more "yeshivish", with larger and older families in the homes there, while the side near Yeshiva Ketana boys is mixed a little more and has a younger feel. The whole town also has a large baal teshuva population as well.

I don't think I could speak about specific blocks per se...although there are definetly some all frum blocks.

Please post any other questions you have and I will try to answer them.

I just wanted to add one more thing...I think your description of yourself fits many/most 20-35 year old people in Passaic. Most people here are somewhat yeshivish...even most of the more modern chevra is really the yeshivish YU chevra.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 1:13 pm
op here.
thanks so much for your replies.
a couple more questions...
what is the difference between between passaic and clifton (people, prices, etc)?
do you know what houses are going for these days? what can we expect to pay for a 4 bedroom house with a decent backyard?

amother

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 5:41 am
amother wrote:
op here.
thanks so much for your replies.
a couple more questions...
what is the difference between between passaic and clifton (people, prices, etc)?
do you know what houses are going for these days? what can we expect to pay for a 4 bedroom house with a decent backyard?

clifton vs passaic - homes in clifton are newer and generally nicer than in Passaic...prices may be a little higher but the homes really are nicer - some of the homes in Passaic, near the yeshiva, are bigger, with bigger lots/yards, but they are much older. I would say people wise that generally speaking the people in Clifton are similar to the Passaic people on the Yeshiva Ketana boys school side of town

With prices the way they are there are homes available ranging from 340-550.

Hope that is helpful

yo'ma

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 5:57 am
amother wrote:

A couple of years ago, we went to look at passaic. We got lost and ended up in clifton. When we finally found our way to passaic, let's just say, what a difference!

Last edited by yo'ma on Tue, Feb 03 2009, 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total

baseballmom

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 6:11 am
yo'ma wrote:
amother wrote:

A couplle of years ago, we went to look at passaic. We got lost and ended up in clifton. When we finally found our way to passaic, let's just say, what a difference!

what do you mean?

yo'ma

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 7:37 am
baseballmom wrote:
yo'ma wrote:
amother wrote:

A couple of years ago, we went to look at passaic. We got lost and ended up in clifton. When we finally found our way to passaic, let's just say, what a difference!

what do you mean?

The houses in Clifton were very nice and new looking, but the ones in Passaic, a little more run down.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 10:19 am
We visited years ago and didn't care for it, but things change and anyway, what's important to me might not matter to you.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 11 2009, 1:26 pm
original op here.
I know you said the young area is on the side of yeshiva ketana boys and clifton but I dont really know what that means. can you give some names of blocks around there that already have frum young people living there? thanks.

ifuncused

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 4:34 pm
I know I am late here..
Young couples under 35... there are a lot that live "on the other side of Main".
It also depends on your price range and what you are looking for.
Now there are houses for sale, but not that many buyers.
Try looking at luach.com and see what's posted there.

good luck. and welcome to Passaic...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating