Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Anyone have a lactose intolerant baby?

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 8:22 pm
Ds has been on alimentum for a while, and doing well with it. Now that he's turned 1, the doc would like to take him off formula, and suggested Lactaid milk, as he cannot tolerate regular milk (screaming in pain, and diarea)
Anyone have any experience with this? I find the whole thing so odd, because he can eat a cream cheese sandwich no problem, and I've mixed yogurt with his baby cereal with no problems. But from the milk he screams What

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 8:31 pm
Our pediatrician explained to me that there are 3 components to milk: protein = lactose, fat = cream, and I forgot the other part Smile I know I'm explaining it wrong...
Basically, the milk has the most lactose in it. And processed cheeses and yogurts are mostly cream. So for someone who is lactose intolerant, milk is the worst thing.
The Lactaid milk is processed, and the lactose is taken out. That's why it's ok for lactose intolerant people.

octopus

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 9:13 pm
yeah, it's something about the milk. It's the most bothersome. But somehow yogurt and cheese isn't so bad. My dd had an allergic reaction from the dairy. She is not supposed to try it again until she turns two. Crying

el2cg

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 9:52 pm
my ds is lactose intolerant. it took me a good year to figure it out. my pediatrician was not too helpful. As a baby I gave him only cholov yisroel similac....he only started having loose stool when he was two, I had a very hard time training him. (3.5) ...lots of accidents...anyway, poor kid. til we discovered that milk was the problem. I bought the lactaid tablets for him. it worked for about a month, and then he started having loose stool again. I swiched to rice dream. then I was told there was such a thing as lactose free milk! b"h, he has no problems now. he eats pizza and milk products w/o a problem, although he hardly eats them, because I taught him that he can't have milk. it is easier then explaining, this you could have and this you cant....

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 10:01 pm
ok, lactose is a sugar, not protein. that's the third part.

yogurt has cultures in it that ferment the yogurt and break down the lactose. commercial yogurt still has some lactose because the companies don't allow it to ferment as long as it takes to break it all down. some lactose intolerant people are ok with commercial yogurt anyway.

as far as cream cheese, it has lactose, but not as much as milk. I believe it's separated somewhat from the whey, which contains the most lactose. so the baby's probably sensitive to lactose in large quantities.
try lactaid and see what happens. he'll probably like it, it's sweeter than regular milk.

nech770

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 10:16 pm
My kids are sensitive to milk - not lactose as much as it makes them phloemy and a cough. I give them either rice, soy or almond milk... depending and have done so since they were little - they are now 5 and 2 1/2. If you are careful with cholov yisroel lactaid at least here is cholov stam so it is an issue and even the tablets are also cholov stam.... and for us that wouldn't solve the problem anyways as the issue is not only the lactose... but I am lactose intolerant and yoghurt and cheeses bother me less but milk and soft cheese - like cottage etc do a number on me...
I would definitely try the non-dairy alternatives.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 10:57 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
ok, lactose is a sugar, not protein. that's the third part.

yogurt has cultures in it that ferment the yogurt and break down the lactose. commercial yogurt still has some lactose because the companies don't allow it to ferment as long as it takes to break it all down. some lactose intolerant people are ok with commercial yogurt anyway.

as far as cream cheese, it has lactose, but not as much as milk. I believe it's separated somewhat from the whey, which contains the most lactose. so the baby's probably sensitive to lactose in large quantities.
try lactaid and see what happens. he'll probably like it, it' sweeter than regular milk.

Thanks for explaining it (the right way Smile )

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 11:02 pm
thank you all for your explanations and experiences. my dh is actually lactose intolerant, but he just pops lactaid pills before eating dairy, so I couldnt really take any proofs from that.

I really hope the lactaid milk works; gosh this baby is really putting me thru the wringer! bh for such problems!

btw, I found it in chalav yisroel, but only skim. so I took the chalav stam one cuz I dont want to put a 1 year old on a diet, although he is certainly fat enough Rolling Eyes

ra_mom

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 11:04 pm
Twizzlers wrote:
thank you all for your explanations and experiences. my dh is actually lactose intolerant, but he just pops lactaid pills before eating dairy, so I couldnt really take any proofs from that.

I really hope the lactaid milk works; gosh this baby is really putting me thru the wringer! bh for such problems!

btw, I found it in chalav yisroel, but only skim. so I took the chalav stam one cuz I dont want to put a 1 year old on a diet, although he is certainly fat enough Rolling Eyes

Good choice. I made the same decision when my daughter was on it. The fat is very important for a toddlers brain development. Hatzlacha.

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Mar 17 2009, 11:07 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Twizzlers wrote:

Good choice. I made the same decision when my daughter was on it. The fat is very important for a toddlers brain development. Hatzlacha.

before dh could make a fuss about the chalav stam, I told him that alimentum is treif so he should be happy we are at least getting him on kosher LOL

bnm

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 12:03 am
Twizzlers wrote:
Ds has been on alimentum for a while, and doing well with it. Now that he's turned 1, the doc would like to take him off formula, and suggested Lactaid milk, as he cannot tolerate regular milk (screaming in pain, and diarea)
Anyone have any experience with this? I find the whole thing so odd, because he can eat a cream cheese sandwich no problem, and I've mixed yogurt with his baby cereal with no problems. But from the milk he screams What

If it's working and not his main source of food why take him off? I was on Nutramigen till age 3 or 5, I have to verify it. I used baby formula as a milk substitute till 13.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics