Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Indian style veggie patties

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:04 pm
I dont have an exact recipe, but I made a yummy dish that I wanted to share.

Took some green lentils and red lentils and wheat berries and pulsed them to a fine powder in the food processor. Added 2 eggs, some water, some baking powder and mixed. Added spinach and salt and cardamon and curry spice. Put eggplant and onion in the food processor then added it to the mix. Added some flour. Fried. Came out really yummy.

bubby

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:17 pm
OK, for the cookingly challenged, what are wheat berries? Do you cook the spinach & eggplant?

Other than that it sounds delicious...DH & I love curry flavor & I can't find genuine Indian recipes that are kosher. Anybody?

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:26 pm
bubby wrote:
OK, for the cookingly challenged, what are wheat berries? Do you cook the spinach & eggplant?

Other than that it sounds delicious...DH & I love curry flavor & I can't find genuine Indian recipes that are kosher. Anybody?
I used wheat kernels that I buy for the cholent- they look sorta like a cross between brown rice and barley. they say on it "Chita"- wheat. I didnt cook the spinach or the eggplant. I used frozen spinach.

bubby

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:29 pm
OK, I'm going to try this. I'll let you know. Now how about authentic curries, onion bajas, chupatties or whatever they're called? (I lived near an Indian restaurant once a hundred years ago & I'm still salivating over the delicious aromas.)

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:39 pm
bubby wrote:
OK, I'm going to try this. I'll let you know. Now how about authentic curries, onion bajas, chupatties or whatever they're called? (I lived near an Indian restaurant once a hundred years ago & I'm still salivating over the delicious aromas.)
I dont know many indian recipes. indian is something my husband isnt so into... chaval.
btw, make sure u add enough water for the lentils and wheat to be able to cook...

Tehilla

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:41 pm
thanks!

cassandra

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:45 pm
Yum. I wonder how they would be unfried.

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 19 2008, 4:46 pm
cassandra wrote:
Yum. I wonder how they would be unfried.
they should probably also taste good baked. I would bake them covered.

Starhavah

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 9:28 pm
bubby wrote:

Most Hindu Indian recipies are kosher because they are dairy. Strict Hindus eat no animal flesh, less strict (Conservative, Reform LOL ) Hindus eat chicken and pork. The best Indian cookbook is Lord Krishna's Cusine by Yamuna Devi. I have not bought it since I am convinced that using it is avodah zara. Yamuna Devi was the cook for a Yogi (Hindu spiritual leader). She considered cooking part of her spiritual practice. If your Rav ok's the book it is available on Amazon. Personally, I love Indian food and have only eaten it in Jerusalem since keeping kosher (I am BT). Now I live in Chicago. There is a huge Indian population here. Some of the Indian resturants are completely vegetarian so it would be a simple matter for them to get a heckshure, but none of them have one. Hopefully, Olam Haba is full of Hindu's doing tsuvah for idolatry by making their wonderful food for Jews.

Star Havah

mimivan

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 11:11 pm
Starhavah wrote:
bubby wrote:

Quote:
Hopefully, Olam Haba is full of Hindu's doing tsuvah for idolatry by making their wonderful food for Jews.

Star Havah

With all the Israelis into all things Indian, I am sure you are right!

bubby

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 7:58 pm
I found Indian food with a hechscher in the kosher grocery near my mother's house in the UK! I thought I'd hit the jackpot. They were delicious, but I only had the pareve stuff. Being of unsound mind & pathetic memory I don't remember either the company or the hechsher, but it was a decent one...maybe Manchester or Kedassia? Anyway, before I ask DD & DS to bring some I need to know: are the fleishig ones any good? ie Chicken or lamb korma, chicken curry etc? And has anyone frozen them successfully?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 8:07 pm
moses tandoor. LBD. they deliver--though doubtful for non-uk destination
we like their chicken tikkas. love their bhajis and corriander chutney!

I haven't tried freezing their curries, but appetisers like samosas and bhajis freeze beautifully.
Best thing is call and ask them to freeze them before frying.

http://www.moses-tandoor.com/tandoori.htm

Do you get Sharwood's mango chutney over there?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 8:10 pm
alternatively, I think you can do takeaways from Kavannah or Mattancherry.

bubby

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 8:47 am
I've seem some Sharwood's stuff in Shoprite, but I never saw any hechscher so I didn't buy Sad I loved those bhaji thingies! Thanks, Mrs. B, I'm going on their website & maybe I'll call & see if they have a distributor in the US.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 9:02 am
Hmm. Sharwoods chutney used to be kosher at least in the last year's book but I checked LBD website only to find it is listed as "cannot get information". Oh well, any of the restaurants/cater I mentioned should have chutneys, otherwise I can get amba.

Not sure if they have US distributors--have you tried Kosher Indian restaurants in NYC?

bubby

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 9:18 am
Last time I looked there are no Indian restaurants with hechsherim we'll use. We saw one in Manhattan, with supervision by Rabbi X...open 7 days a week! shock Confused I sent Moses Tandoor an email. And I should get a new LBD book. My mother's is so out of date it has fur on! LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes