Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Bread machine woes

juggler

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 4:55 am
I have my bread machine for a few years already (a panasonic). In the beginning my bread only turned out about half the time, so I switched my order of putting in ingredients and began putting in the liquids first. Since then I b"h have never had a problem, and I make bread or dough daily. I finally decided to experiment with some of the other recipes that the book comes with, such as olive oregano bread and italian bread, and every recipe I try FLOPS!! Anyone know why or have some advice for me??

elisecohen

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 7:11 am
What specifically is the problem--too dry, wet in the middle, flat, etc? Give us more specifics and we'll put on our Sherlock Holmes sheitels!

juggler

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 7:52 am
Not sure. It didn't even rise, possibly didn't mix well? When I opened the machine there was a flat slab of bread.

chen

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 8:58 am
how old is your yeast?
how hot is the water you're adding?

shoy18

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 9:06 am
all bread machine recipes tell you to put the liquid in first, then cover it completly with dry ingredient, make a welt in the middle and put in yeast!

juggler

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 1:06 pm
Hmm, the yeast is pretty new, and it works with my regular bread recipe so I don't think that's the prob. The water is room temp. Shoy, I never heard of that method, perhaps I'll try it and see what happens. Is it no-fail??....

elisecohen

Post Thu, Feb 09 2006, 2:00 pm
Is the machine heating properly? Are you replacing white flour in the recipe with whole wheat?

Shimmysmom

Post Fri, Feb 10 2006, 2:33 pm
I actually have my own bread machine problem. I have been using the same recipie for months to make challah dough. last week it didn't rise well so I bought new yeast and this week it still did not rise enough.
any tips or ideas?

realeez

Post Fri, Feb 10 2006, 2:37 pm
don't let the yeast touch the liquids or salt! I always add the liquids, salt and sugar, then the flour and the yeast of top.

if you aren't sure if your yeast is good, put it in some warmish water with sugar and let it sit. if it doesn't bubble in 10 minutes then it may be dead & you need more yeast.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen