Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Burner Grates in Self-Clean Cycle?

TzipG

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 3:52 pm
I have a newish GE self cleaning oven. The instructions say not to put the enamel coated stove burner grates in the self-cleaning cycle. The instructions also say to remove the oven racks during self clean but I don't and they are fine (color is a little off, but I don't care). Am I going to ruin the grates? What I mean is - if they get discolored, I don't care, but are they going to get warped and unusable? Replacement grates will cost me $160, but I won't get them in time for Pesach, so I will have to wrap the grates in foil if I don't self clean them.

Advice???

Ima'la

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 4:15 pm
We self-clean the stove grates even though it says not to and have never had a problem of warping.

sky

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 4:18 pm
I put my grates in the oven when I bought my house to kasher them. The paint bubbled and they don't look great but they are still useable.

Last year for pesach we kashered them by putting a thick piece of aluminum across the top and turning the burners up to high for a few minutes (I forget the exact amount) and I thought they bubbled even more that way.

I don't think they will get ruined so that you can't use them. They just won't look great.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 4:29 pm
Until we had our own stove, we kashered them in the oven and then covered them with foil. No, it's not good for them. Depending on the model and shape of your grates, I woudn't be surprised if it would ruin the shape.

When we got our own stove, I bought new ones.

rivkeah

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 4:41 pm
anyone ever used easy off on a stove top the burner pieces ? cause I heard it might get ruined?

sky

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 5:31 pm
rivkeah wrote:
anyone ever used easy off on a stove top the burner pieces ? cause I heard it might get ruined?

My last cleaning lady insisted on using EasyOff on the top of my stove. I was sure the whole thing would corrode away. It looks the same as when she started. My burner grates are anyway bubbled so I wouldn't have noticed if it damaged it more.The stovetop itself is fine.

solo

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 6:08 pm
my burner grates had little rubber dots on the bottom
but I didnt want to spend money on another set of grates for pesach and I didnt know I could cover the chametz ones so I took the rubber dots off and self cleaned it
then pasted the dots back on
it was fine for a while but after many months the enamel started to crack ans some of it actually chiped off
since then ive bought a new set of grates and just cover them with foil for pesach

cindy324

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 6:28 pm
Mine says not to self clean either, but the only way to kasher them otherwise is to blowtorch it. My DH took them to be kashered this way the first time, burnt the little rubber feet right off, and it bubbled the enamel, too. So I figured how much worse could a self cleaning cycle be, so I did it, and it didn't get anymore ruined, except maybe some more bubbling.

anonymom

Post Wed, Mar 25 2009, 10:39 pm
merelyme wrote:
Do your burner grates have little rubber pieces on the bottom where they sit on the stove top like my burner grates do? Our rav said I should just clean the grates well and cover them with aluminum foil for Pesach.

I also have a newish GE stove. The grates do have rubber pieces on the bottom. I did not want to pay for a second set of grates, so I removed the rubber pieces. Some were glued in and some came out easily. I scraped the glue out as well as I could. Some of the rubber pieces got ruined in the process, but I had found replacement rubber pieces online just in case. Then I put them in the self cleaning oven together with the burners themselves and the oven racks. We tried not to be in the house too much while it was going and to open windows because who knows what nasty chemicals were released when the residue from the glue got heated to who knows what temperature. That is what we did. The oven racks turned a little brownish, but the grates look OK, not perfect.

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 9:41 am
I believe my Rav said not to self-clean the burner grates, but to clean them, then put them in Kosher L'pesach oven for 45 mins on highest heat (500 or whatever it may be, as opposed to 800 when self clean is on).
I was a little confused by that- why would I put my chametz grates in my kosher l'pesach ovens? I would've asked, but I'm not kashering this year anyway.......

wtvr

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 3:03 pm
I kasher my grates by putting a blech on top, and turning on the flame on the highest. leave it till the grates are red hot. Half a stove at a time. You have to be careful if you have a contol panel at the back though, b/c when I first did this, it melted it1 j I lost all the features of my oven, besides bake!

It can peel the enamel, just like any time you leave the fire on without a pot on top.

octopus

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 3:11 pm
you can ask your rav. But I believe that even if you don't do the blech on top thing, running the flame on high for longer than you would normally cook anything on high is okay. Like for an hour. it might be less. ask your rav. The flame kashers out the grate. the blech raises the temperature of the flame. that's why ppl put the blech on.

wtvr

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 3:32 pm
The Rov told me to use the blech. I think because, as you said, it makes it hotter. It also doesn't take an hour...

sky

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 4:39 pm
octopus wrote:
you can ask your rav. But I believe that even if you don't do the blech on top thing, running the flame on high for longer than you would normally cook anything on high is okay. Like for an hour. it might be less. ask your rav. The flame kashers out the grate. the blech raises the temperature of the flame. that's why ppl put the blech on.

I think electric and gas are different. Electric you just put on the highest. For gas you need the blech (or a thick sheet of aluminum) to spread the heat around.

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 10:50 pm
Ive been self cleaning all my oven pieces for the last 9 years, I never had a problem Smile

octopus

Post Thu, Mar 26 2009, 11:04 pm
sky wrote:
octopus wrote:

I think electric and gas are different. Electric you just put on the highest. For gas you need the blech (or a thick sheet of aluminum) to spread the heat around.

that's interesting. I'm not exactly sure what you mean though. because most stove tops are gas- do you mean the ovens that are electric ignitions? Because I thought nowadays most ovens are electric ignitions. I'm not an expert in this area, anyhow, so I'm sure I have some facts mixed up somewhere.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry