Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Nittel Nacht
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Motek

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 11:58 am
this Friday night the custom is not to learn Torah until midnight, because it's Nittel Nacht (Dec. 24 at night, X-mas eve), and learning Torah at that time increases chayus-vitality to kelipa - negative forces.

weird, no divrei Torah

though you can tell stories

proudmom

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 12:24 pm
I remember learining this from Daas Hakedusha or it was from Rashit Chachma you are not suppose to have relations then because if you conceive on that day you will have a child that will convert to christianity.

miriam

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 12:34 pm
My daughter's due date last year was Dec. 25. We were not too happy about this so we told everyone that the due date was Dec. 26. We didn't want our child to have any closeness to this date. She was born on Dec. 30. We were so relieved. I remember my husband and I joking about what we would do to prolong labor if I went into labor on THAT day. Baruch Hashem He knows what He's doing.

Motek

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 12:39 pm
do you think NO Jews were born on Dec. 25?!

proudmom

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 12:41 pm
of course there were jews that were born then, it is a horrible day to be born on. When my mother was pregnant with my sister her due date was also dec 25. My mom gave birth 2 days earlier.

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 12:45 pm
I've heard of the nittel nacht concept before. I just find it weird that in this case we follow the secular calendar. shouldn't we find out what the hebrew date of the event was and have nittel nacht then?

(miriam- that reminds me of how my baby was due in mid-september and I was hoping it wouldn't be born sept. 11th. b"H she wasn't! but my grandfather's b-day is sept.11th!)

proudmom

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 12:50 pm
whats is wrong with september 11? My son was born exactly a year later the whole tragedy happened in NY.

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 12:56 pm
I think dec. 25th is worse than sept. 11th, but just the fact that when ppl. ask him his b-day they'll be sure to give some annoying response.

Motek

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 1:02 pm
let him give the hebrew date whenever possible

proudmom

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 1:08 pm
When I gave birth to my son it was baby booming year. The hospitals were so packed. They took one waiting room and made it into a bedroom for some mothers to stay in. They were telling mothers to leave right away so they can have more rooms for mothers.

gryp

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 1:25 pm
del

Last edited by gryp on Sun, Dec 26 2010, 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

sarahd

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 1:47 pm
Motek wrote:
do you think NO Jews were born on Dec. 25?!

My father was born on December 24 at 11:30 PM. The midwife who was attending my grandmother (an at-home birth! Natural! LOL ) was very antsy, because she wanted to make it to church for midnight mass. When she finally made it to church, she told everyone, "Frau F. hat ein X-Kind geboren" (Mrs. F. gave birth to the X-Child!) After all, not only was my grandmother Jewish, but her name was even Miriam. Her German name was Maria!! What more could you ask for?? Rolling Eyes It has been a family joke since then.

proudmom

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 1:49 pm
so why did your grandmother pick her in the first place?

sarahd

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 1:51 pm
0613 wrote:
I've heard of the nittel nacht concept before. I just find it weird that in this case we follow the secular calendar. shouldn't we find out what the hebrew date of the event was and have nittel nacht then?

No one really knows the date of the event, because do you really think anyone was paying attention when yoshke was born?!

Quote:
(miriam- that reminds me of how my baby was due in mid-september and I was hoping it wouldn't be born sept. 11th. b"H she wasn't! but my grandfather's b-day is sept.11th!)

How about the family friend whose daughter got married on September 11.....2001!!!

sarahd

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 1:53 pm
proudmom wrote:
so why did your grandmother pick her in the first place?

Sweetheart, there was probably only one midwife in town. My father was born in a small town in Austria (before WWII), not in New York City.

proudmom

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 1:55 pm
I didnt mean it in a bad way I was just wondering. If I upseted you I am sorry

zuncompany

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 2:09 pm
I learned about this when on Mayanot. We played chess that night, just the the L. Rebbe did. However... its Shabbos. What do we do?

I know a shlucha whose daughter was born on that day. They just didn't ever tell her the english date until she figured it out herself.

Sara

sarahd

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 2:42 pm
proudmom wrote:
I didnt mean it in a bad way I was just wondering. If I upseted you I am sorry

You didn't upset me at all. In fact, I had a nice laugh. LOL LOL LOL (It's pretty hard to offend me - I have a good, thick skin)

Yael

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 2:46 pm
I always thought dec 25 was his birthday and new years was his bris. 8 days later. now you say that noone knows? I'm thoroughly confused. Confused
can someone find out what it is for real Rolling Eyes

imanut

Post Wed, Dec 22 2004, 3:21 pm
zuncompany- can't you play chess on shabbos?
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics