Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Reaction to food or virus?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 2:05 am
My son had a ton of melon and a lot of a new cereal on friday and shabbos. Then motzei shabbos he woke up in the middle of the night, coughed and then threw up a to. and just as he was about to go to sleep, it happened again. and again. and again. until he would cough and then throw up, but there was no food left in his system, so he threw up only mucus.
Ok, so I thought this was throwing up from coughing so not too concerned. But then this morning he had really bad diarrhea, going all the way out of his diaper and almost down to his feet... and after I bathed him and changed him, he did the same again, really bad watery diarrhea.

Whats the likelihood of what he has being a virus vs just a reaction to the food he ate?
Is there any point of a doctor's visit, or just make certain that he eats only anti diarrhea foods like rice, bananas, and toast, in addition to staying well hydrated?

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 2:11 am
In my family, that's a huge sign of allergy - the throwing up. Dh had lots of allergies growing up, still does and he always reacted as a child by throwing up repeatedly.

And, melons are highly allergic - lots of fruits are, berries, tropical fruits and some melons. My fil is allergic to melons.

Good luck. How old is your son? Does he have any rashes? Has he ever had the melon before? What kind of cereal? What's in the cereal? Many times there are nuts or nut flour in cereals - check out the ingredients.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 2:49 am
he's had melon and and nuts and all these other stuff before with no problem. it was just this overdose. he's 1.5. I doubt its allergies. we got not allergies in my family.

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 2:53 am
then why ask if it is was from the food?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 3:11 am
Well, if you have melon a little bit here and there its one thing, but an overdose of fruit can give anyone a stomach ache....

Blair

Post Sun, Mar 29 2009, 8:07 am
Sounds more like a stomach virus
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics