Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
When did you pierce your daughters ears?
Previous  1  2  3

When did you pierce your daughters ears?
As an infant  
 61%  [ 47 ]
as a toddler  
 6%  [ 5 ]
for a birthday or special occasion  
 9%  [ 7 ]
when they asked for it  
 11%  [ 9 ]
make holes in my kids ears?? Never!  
 10%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 76

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 12:08 pm
In my family we use baby perfume but would never pierce ears of babies/children.

ss321

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 12:19 pm
Ruchel wrote:
everything is cultural - disagree respectfully

Wink
I think my little assumption might have only worked for US.
In Paris (I just remember from when I was there), they sold the mustela baby perfumes in every baby store, I was very surprised, because they are not seen as often here!

Seraph

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 12:58 pm
I wouldnt use baby perfume but would pierce ears young.
In my experience, the only people that are so anti earings are people whos families have raised them to be that way. Most girls I know either are totally cool with earings or REALLY want them. And if someone doesnt want them when they're older, they can always take them out...

cubbie

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 1:08 pm
Seraph wrote:
In my experience, the only people that are so anti earings are people whos families have raised them to be that way. Most girls I know either are totally cool with earings or REALLY want them. And if someone doesnt want them when they're older, they can always take them out...

Actually the reason why I'm so open about earings is because I was raised in an anti-earing home and I spent my childhood dreaming of having earings. I got them in the end for my bat-mitzvah, but that wasn't the plan, it was originally scheduled for when I don't have to ask them legally and have earned my own money to pay for them, but then my cousin (I only have one female first cousin) got earings for her bat-mitzvah so my parents felt that they could no longer not let me. But, as I said before, I'm not for piercing babies earings, I do belive that the person concerned needs to make that choice, so dd got them when she turned 4 after nearly 2 years of asking for them.

Seraph

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 1:14 pm
cubbie wrote:
Seraph wrote:

Actually the reason why I'm so open about earings is because I was raised in an anti-earing home and I spent my childhood dreaming of having earings. I got them in the end for my bat-mitzvah, but that wasn't the plan, it was originally scheduled for when I don't have to ask them legally and have earned my own money to pay for them, but then my cousin (I only have one female first cousin) got earings for her bat-mitzvah so my parents felt that they could no longer not let me. But, as I said before, I'm not for piercing babies earings, I do belive that the person concerned needs to make that choice, so dd got them when she turned 4 after nearly 2 years of asking for them.
Right. What I meant was--- if someone WAS to be against them, it would be someone from an anti earring home. But anti earring home doesnt mean you'll be anti. My parents were anti earrings. They said when I was 16 I could get. I went away for the summer at 15 and got them pierced. I know very few people who have earings that say "Oh, I wish my parents never would have gotten my ears pierced." Yes, ideally I agree with you about kids asking for them first, however, in my experience, once older they are more likely to get infected because they often won't let you clean them because its not so comfortable... so I'd rather pierce as an infant because they probably WOULD ask for them at some later point.
But its a moot point for now, because thus far I only have a son.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 1:58 pm
when my first dd was born and I wanted to pierce her ears my dxh said the same about עבד עברי ... however being a girl myself and always wanting my ears pierced - I didn't really feel it was necessary to scare a young child or have her filled with angst waiting till her bas mitzva ...

1delicgirl

Post Mon, Mar 30 2009, 2:44 pm
I pierced my dds ears at 5 days old,
the reason people are comparing it to vaccine, is not the outcome of it. they're comparing it because when a baby gets vaccinated it hurts also for a few seconds as in ear piercing, they forget about it right away. most girls want earings, (if not all) and hey! if they don't, they can take it out when they're older, at least when they are older they don't have to have the pain. and yes little girlys look adorable in it.
my dd never lost hers and never touches it......if they have something on them from newborn, it belongs there and they don't touch it. (her bracelet, she doesn't either touch Wink )

and to those talking about cleaning it, the lady that did my dd, (and I mean she's "really" experienced on newborns) said I don't need to clean or touch it, and I didn't, and there was never a prob, dd is almost a year old, and looks adorable in them.

ESB

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 12:29 am
I pierced my daughters ears when she was 1 week old.........

mamacita

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 1:15 am
1delicgirl wrote:
I pierced my dds ears at 5 days old,
the reason people are comparing it to vaccine, is not the outcome of it. they're comparing it because when a baby gets vaccinated it hurts also for a few seconds as in ear piercing, they forget about it right away. most girls want earings, (if not all) and hey! if they don't, they can take it out when they're older, at least when they are older they don't have to have the pain. and yes little girlys look adorable in it.
my dd never lost hers and never touches it......if they have something on them from newborn, it belongs there and they don't touch it. (her bracelet, she doesn't either touch Wink )

and to those talking about cleaning it, the lady that did my dd, (and I mean she's "really" experienced on newborns) said I don't need to clean or touch it, and I didn't, and there was never a prob, dd is almost a year old, and looks adorable in them.

Thank you! I was seething reading all the comments from people who misinterpreted my post and made me sound like a moron. I don't need the help for that, thank you very much! Tongue Out I didn't say earrings=vaccines I meant jab-> cry = jab-> cry and to give something to measure by as far as pain threshold. I don't go jabbing my kids for other reasons so that's the only thing I can compare it to, hehe.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics