Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Dividing up your books

Seraph

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 2:29 pm
How do you shelve your books? Are sfarim in one place, sifrei chol in another place?
I cant figure out if my halacha books in english should be with my sifrei kodesh or with my english books. if my twersky on marriage should be with my secular on marriage, and if my jewish parenting should be with my other parenting, or if the first in each category should be with my sfarim.
How do you divide it up?

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 2:31 pm
Everything is labeled and classified according to the Library of Congress classification system--complete with labels. DH and I did it as a project after we first were married. We have an online catalog to find things.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 2:35 pm
I used to spend a lot of time organizing my books every which way - Hebrew and English, then sort by topic, by author, by size, etc. Now my toddler organizes them for me. Rolling Eyes I haven't figured out his system just yet.

catonmylap

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 2:48 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:
Everything is labeled and classified according to the Library of Congress classification system--complete with labels. DH and I did it as a project after we first were married. We have an online catalog to find things.

very cool!

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 2:49 pm
catonmylap wrote:
avigailmiriam wrote:

very cool!

It was fun! And surprisingly easy and cheap to do.

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 2:55 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I used to spend a lot of time organizing my books every which way - Hebrew and English, then sort by topic, by author, by size, etc. Now my toddler organizes them for me. Rolling Eyes I haven't figured out his system just yet.

put your books on higher shelves .... and his stuff on lower shelves - it works Wink but he sounds cute ...

I guess the general question is how many book shelves do you have ... if you have more than one I would put english in one and hebrew in the other - and within the hebrew one I would have a shelf with jewish books in the english language ... if not maybe on one shelf have the self help books jewish on one side and english on the other ... then again I like books in size order within some category ... I guess I would have to see ... What

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 3:00 pm
greenfire wrote:
MiracleMama wrote:

put your books on higher shelves .... and his stuff on lower shelves - it works Wink but he sounds cute ...

We have more books then shelves so I can't give up those lower shelves. Besides, he's a good climber anyhow. LOL It's okay. At least he likes books.

jennzda1

Post Fri, Apr 03 2009, 11:36 am
In our library, everything that has a torahdik theme (AKA anything that could be bought at your local Jewish book store) is in one section. Everything else is in the chol section. Lemudei chodesh are pretty easy to organize (sedarim, MIshnah, Chumash, Gemara, ... and their related tomes). For our other books, I have tried several systems for organizing them. I liked how they looked organized by color, but they ultimately ended up organized by similar traits (somewhat like a public library), as this was the easiest way to find them later.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics