Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Overnight Potato Kugel
Previous  1  2

momomany

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 10:35 pm
The longer it sits in the oven covered, steaming & moist, the better. Nothing would happen if you took it out for a while & put it back in, but it does need a nice couple of hours of sitting in an oven, even if it is not consecutive. If it is not moist enough (not enough water or not well covered enough), the top will get tough & if it is not in the oven long enough, it will be soggy instead of brownish, moist & "overnight catered kugelly". You can take a peek after a coupla hours & if the top is not moist , you can always pour in a bit more boiling water & cover tightly again, as long as it is not too close to the time you will be eating it. The reason I started making kugel this way, was because I loved the convenience of making the mess Thursday night & having a nice clean kitchen on Friday. I find it much more convenient therefore, to make it on Thursday. Why wouldn't you do it that way?

koalamum

Post Mon, Apr 20 2009, 10:50 pm
anonymom wrote:
Do you put raw kugel batter in the crockpot? I did that once, and it tasted great, but had to be served with a spoon and was shapeless.

Or do you put it in with chulent in the crockpot? How does that work? Meaning how do you keep it separate from the chulent?

First I bake the kugel like normal. (400 degrees for 1 hour, then 350 for another half hour) Then I wrap up the (fairly large) piece of kugel in some foil. I don't cover it completely so some cholent liquid could seep in. Then I leave it on top of the cholent, right under the lid.

Btw to keep the kugel white, I do 2 things. I preheat the oil and pour it into the kugel mixture when it is bubbling hot. And when I put the potatoes in the food processor, I make sure to alternate potatoes with onion quarters. It really works!
I used to grate the potatoes and onions by hand. Then it was amazing! But who has that Koach in this day and age?!?! Wink
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes