Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Two year old on a diet???
Previous  1  2  3  4

Seraph

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 7:59 am
What I'm saying is that its not digital, and it can be off by a kilo or two, and it'll take quite a while for a kid that age to gain or lose a kilo, so I dont think that would be beneficial even. Kids this age generally are measured on digital scales with up to 3 numbers after the decimal.

Akeres Habayis

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 8:23 am
thought I would post our tipat chalav visit since it pertains to this discussion

gila sarah is considered a tiny bit overweight.the tipat chalav nurse said no diet just cut out some of the junk food.but it really doesn't matter she may be overweight because I am(she said it much nicer LOL )
but it really doesn't matter,but b'klal parents should watch how much junk their kids eat,bc the fat could just be genetics or bc of junk food,or just their weight is up and done,no activity.BUT NO DIET.
she is 2 1/2 and weighs 15.1 kilo at 90.1 centimeters

Seraph

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 8:27 am
Right. No diet makes sense.
This kid doesnt eat junk food, so thats not something I can tell the mom. To her, junk food is probably a curse word. It would NEVER be allowed in their house.

chaylizi

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 8:57 am
Inspired wrote:
Seraph wrote:

My scale isnt accurate enough to weigh someone that small.

You can go on the scale without her and then go on holding her.

what if seraph gains or loses weight?

Inspired

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 9:03 am
kikavu wrote:
Inspired wrote:
Seraph wrote:

You can go on the scale without her and then go on holding her.

what if seraph gains or loses weight?

In the few seconds it takes to pick up the child?

chaylizi

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 9:05 am
no I thought you meant to weigh the child regularly to make sure she's not losing weight. but once you get a baseline with someone else's weight- I would think gain/loss would be harder to calculate.

hadasa

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 9:12 am
What it means is that every time Seraph will weigh herself with and without the child, and them subtract her current weight from their combined weight - get it?

nevertheless, it may not be accurate. I've seen my scale move up or down a kilo when I stepped on and off.

Ima'la

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 4:08 am
Seraph, I'm not sure when you're due, but can you even read the scale by yourself when you're on it - never mind while holding a child as well?! LOL I'm with you - I don't think your weighing her will help. I wish you could think of someone who could speak to the mother.

Please do not call social services without first discussing with a rav who is familiar with SS here and can tell you if it will be in the child's best interest to call or not. (But please do seek such a rav if the situation continues/get worse.)

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 8:18 am
Seraph wrote:
AFAIK she doesnt have a pediatrician. Mom is very into natural, I'm not sure she takes her to a doc when she is sick, probably just nurses her back to health with naturopathic methods.
The pediatricians here... none of them are really the type I'd go to to give me warning signs.
Her eating crumbs and grains of rice off the floor is a new thing; her being hungry a lot isn't, but its gotten worse.

I am usually not one to call social services. But the child's actions indicate that she is either extremely hungry (eating crumbs from the floor is not normal) or suffering from some sort of disorder that makes her eat endlessly.

Talk to the pediatrician on the Yishuv, I know there are some who speak English, and tell him/her what you are seeing? I'm not sure what you mean by "Not the kind to give warning signs". Maybe talk to then nurses instead? Go in and talk to the nurses who are in a different clinic?

You can also possibly talk to the social worker off record. Ask her given this and this information what she would do and what the courts would do.

The reason I worry in this case is because while you can monitor what she is eating by you it is not possible to monitor what the child is eating outside of your jurisdiction. Even if she were still nursing it seems to me her eating is abnormal and indicates a real problem, one that needs to go to a doctor or social worker.

Social workers can work WITH the family, and it might be best in this case.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics