Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How expressive are you???

Tefila

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 7:08 pm
When you talk do you use your facial expressions, hands and body to express yourself or do you sit back and let your mouth do it all. I am taking this valuable survey since I need to prove someone wrong thanks for your assistance Tongue Out

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 7:24 pm
I do neither. I don't express myself at all.

cookielady

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 7:37 pm
According to my younger dd, eye rolling is my biggest form of communication.

louche

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 7:46 pm
As you can probably tell by my posts, I'm very expressive. I used to talk with my hands, not to illustrate visually as when you're showing how big a box was, but just in rhythm, flapping my hands around, not really adding to the content. I stopped doing that after taking a public speaking class and being warned about distracting mannerisms. I do make deliberate gestures to emphasize a point, such as drawing my hand across my throat to indicate death, pulling hands far apart to show just how far a bungee cord might stretch, making a cranking motion to signal "speed it up". I like to think I'm adding a note of humor, but who knows if that comes across to the audience. Facial expressions, too, which I should probably not do, especially when teaching. Lots of shock Rolling Eyes Thumbs Up and even Rolling Laughter--this last usually not when teaching.

The jury seems to be out as far as teaching or speaking--some instructors say you should avoid gestures, moving around and making faces, because it's distracting and unattractive, while others say you should move around and make gestures (meaningful ones) to avoid looking static and boring.

louche

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 7:47 pm
flowerpower wrote:

with a platinum membership under your belt? methinks the lady doth protest too much.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 7:51 pm
Even my eyebrows dance. I talk very animatedly. Why the survey – every human does what works for them.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 8:06 pm
I express myself with words, my hands, and facial expressions Smile

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 8:12 pm
facial expressions - hence all the emoticons ... Mr. Green

lamplighter

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 9:02 pm
Very expressive, almost to a fault.

Stayci

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 9:12 pm
cookielady wrote:
According to my younger dd, eye rolling is my biggest form of communication.

Is that the reason you are sporting sun-glasses. Now don't you roll your eyes at me. Wink

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 29 2009, 9:12 pm
louche wrote:
flowerpower wrote:

with a platinum membership under your belt? methinks the lady doth protest too much.

The question wasn't "how bored are you".

louche

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 12:12 am
flowerpower wrote:
louche wrote:
flowerpower wrote:

The question wasn't "how bored are you".

Rolling Eyes with a platinum membership, you obviously express yourself. Verbally. If you were merely bored and not expressive, you would read and not post.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics