Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Challah Recipe for someone who consistently ruins challah
Previous  1  2

greenfire

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 7:35 am
here you go valley babe ... just add more honey/sugar Wink

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 9:09 am
Easy recipe for 3 regular loaf pan sized challahs. (I don't double but make 1 2/3 the recipe when I want to use a full bag to take challah with a bracha.) What's wonderful is, you don't have to proof the yeast.

Pour 2 1/2 c. of warm water into mixer. Add 7 tsp. (about 3 packages if you buy the strips) of powdered yeast. Turn the mixer on, let it go till it starts to look bubbly. Keeping the mixer on, add 3 eggs, 1 cup sugar (or half cup of honey), 1 Tbsp. of salt, 6 Tbsp. of oil, and a half a cup of water.

At this point, either:
add about 7 cups of flour to the mixer, combine, then put into bowl for adding additional flour and kneading.
OR put 7 cups of flour in bowl, add liquid, combine, and knead till ready.
You'll probably use about 9 cups of flour, give or take.
(I lost my kneading hook a while ago. I'm sure you can let a machine do this but I don't have one and I find kneading satisfying. Five or six minutes usually does it.)

Pour a few spoons of water in the bowl, tossing the dough to be sure it's all coated. Let rise till double.

If you like freestyle challah, I.e. 3 challahs on a cookie sheet, punch down, and let rise again.
If you're using loaf pans, you only have to let it rise once, then shape. (I don't remember if you need to take challah - without a bracha - or not since I usually make enough to take challah.)
Grease your cookie sheet or the loaf pans, shape, place dough on, cover, let rise till about double again. Egg, poppy seeds or sesame if you wish, etc.
Bake in preheated 350 oven for a half hour, 35 minutes.

When I make the full bag of flour, I usually make 5 challahs, or 3 regular size, 3 smaller size. I can only bake 3 at a time, so the others go into the fridge, with greased plastic on top, to rise till the first round come out of the oven..

One last caveat: yes, you can use Kineret! Kol hakavod! The main thing is to get to Shabbos joyfully and serenely (yeah right ;-) Whatever works for you on that score. I'm a self taught cook and get a lot of satisfaction out of this. Here's a subject for a new thread - what floats your respective boats?

cbg

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 1:12 pm
I know this is an old thread, but I needed to comment.

My challahs use to come out a disaster. Once it even broke the challah knife.
For years I was phobic about making challah, until someone told me to use water from the hot water urn to proof the yeast.
All these years my water was way too cold and my yeast wouldn't proof properly.
Since I started using the hot water from the urn, perfect challahs.
Wow, does my yeast really proof now.

I need to warn you though my hot water urn doesn't heat that hot, but hot enough. I'm otherwards when I make my coffee and I add milk the coffee is drinkable hot, not sipping hot. Don't know if that makes sense.

Now any recipe I use, they come out really good.

Just had to comment.

Woman of Valor

Post Fri, Apr 13 2018, 3:23 pm
it isn't really the recipe but rather the method. Can you tell us what you do as a method and we can help with tips that way?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads