Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Good brisket recipe for a bad cook

littlefish1995

Post Tue, Feb 07 2006, 12:17 am
I am a bad cook. Very bad. Can anyone give me a good brisket recipe that is EASY (key word). My MIL makes one with Coca Cola but it sounds quite complicated. I really know nothing about even buying a good looking brisket, but I would love to make a yummy one. TIPS are badly needed. embarrassed

momaleh

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 7:57 am
Brisket is actually pretty easy, no matter how it is made.

First cut is the leanest, but some prefer second cut because the fat makes it juicier.

It is best to first brown it on both sides in 2 tbsp. oil. This helps to seal in moisture. I like to saute onions and garlic and then add the meat to brown. You leave it on each side for 5-7 minutes without touching. It is usually ready to flip when it lifts easily from the bottom of the pot.

You can skip this step and go straight to roasting.

Here are two yummy sauces:

1)
1/2 c water
1/2 c ketchup
1/2 c brown sugar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp apricot jam
2 tbsp soy sauce

slice 2 large onions into rings. lay in large, shallow pan. Put meat on top. Pour over sauce. Seal with foil completely. Bake at 350 for 3 hours.
Cool, slice against the grain.

2)
1/2 c water
1/2 c ketchup
1/2 c honey
1/2 c apricot jam
1 packet onion soup mix

slice 2 large onions into rings. lay in large, shallow pan. cut up carrots and sweet potato and space around edges of pan. Put meat on top. Pour over sauce. Seal with foil completely. Bake at 350 for 3 hours.

MRN

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 11:09 am
buy top of the rib not brisket (cheaper AND more tender).
The day before:
sear on both sides in the dutch oven. while it is searing, add osem onion soup mix to the meat (a few heaping tablespoons). add one can jellied cranberry sauce, about one cup ketchup, and water to 3/4 cover. Simmer for at least two hours (three or more is okay, too.) The last hour you can add sliced white potatoes to cook.
The next day, remove from fridge and slice agains the grain. Reheat in the gravy and serve.

Dvasha

Post Wed, May 20 2009, 3:46 am
momaleh wrote:
Brisket is actually pretty easy, no matter how it is made.

First cut is the leanest, but some prefer second cut because the fat makes it juicier.

It is best to first brown it on both sides in 2 tbsp. oil. This helps to seal in moisture. I like to saute onions and garlic and then add the meat to brown. You leave it on each side for 5-7 minutes without touching. It is usually ready to flip when it lifts easily from the bottom of the pot.

You can skip this step and go straight to roasting.

Here are two yummy sauces:

1)
1/2 c water
1/2 c ketchup
1/2 c brown sugar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp apricot jam
2 tbsp soy sauce

slice 2 large onions into rings. lay in large, shallow pan. Put meat on top. Pour over sauce. Seal with foil completely. Bake at 350 for 3 hours.

I know this was from a long time ago but how big of a brisket is this for?
thanks

thatslife

Post Wed, May 20 2009, 8:30 am
easiest brisket ever. put brisket carrots and potatoes in a roasting pan. put onion soup mix all over the top. add water about a cup. this you can not screw up any way you try it comes out yummy.

Mrs.K

Post Wed, May 20 2009, 8:36 am
thatslife wrote:
easiest brisket ever. put brisket carrots and potatoes in a roasting pan. put onion soup mix all over the top. add water about a cup. this you can not screw up any way you try it comes out yummy.

This is similar to what I do as well when I need a quick and easy recipe.
I put potatoes and carrots in the pan with the brisket on top, sprinkle everything completely with onion soup mix and garlic powder.
I do not add water, there is always a ton of sauce, if I added water it would certainly go over the top while cooking.
You definitely can't screw this up, though it's very important with any meat recipe you use to make sure it cooks long enough to be nice and soft.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 20 2009, 10:21 am
Whatever recipe you use, cook it at a slightly lower heat, and for longer. It'll be more tender that way.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, May 20 2009, 10:24 am
I made a brisket for the first time a few months ago. It came out great and was extremely soft and tender.

2 cans beer
1 package onion soup mix
BBQ sauce
2 onions, sliced
Red potatoes (if you want them)

Trim away excess fat from brisket, then put the meat into a large roasting pan. Pour in both cans of beer, sprinkle the brisket with the onion soup mix, and then squirt a generous amount of bbq sauce over the meat. Put the potatoes in the pan, and cover the brisket with the onions.

Cover tightly with foil and put in oven set to 200. Cook for 6 + hours till very tender. Baste occasionally.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 20 2009, 10:46 am
put onions, garlic cloves, carrots, celery (potatoes) place brisket on top ... sprinkle spices: black pepper, garlic powder and paprika ... rub them in with a little olive oil ... and cook on medium flame with pan open ... about an hour in cover pan ... but keep checking moisture levels ... when natural juices begin to dry out add a few tablespoons of water at a time - this helps to create a nice gravy ...

kool off to room temp to slice and reheat in gravy ...

observer

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:19 pm
thatslife wrote:

I know this is an old thread...but would this work with top of the rib?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:48 pm
observer wrote:
I know this is an old thread...but would this work with top of the rib?

Yes it would work.

enneamom

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:50 pm
Tomato sauce and onion slices. That's it!

observer

Post Sun, Sep 05 2021, 2:51 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Yes it would work.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics