Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Freezing Challah?

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 12:29 pm
Does anyone have any tips on freezing challah? When I freeze mine it always comes out much drier than when I put it in and does not taste so good.

~Rivka

queen

Post Mon, Sep 19 2005, 2:27 pm
are you placing challahs in two ziplock bags, squeezing out extra air before closing?

(sounds like mild freezer burn)

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 12:27 pm
challos are great (even better) from the freezer!

in plastic bag, eliminate air, tie top tightly

southernbubby

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 12:35 pm
I have tried shaping them and freezing them raw and then thawing, rising, and baking. This did work out well. Freezing already baked challahs is OK if you are either going to briefly reheat them or use them within a month. Otherwise, it has a stale freezer taste.

Chanie

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 1:02 pm
I always freeze challah. I bake every 2-3 weeks, and sometimes it lasts longer if we go away for shabbos or a meal.
Rarely do I get the freezer taste. I buy the heavy duty "challah" ziplock bags, and they work great.

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 1:05 pm
Do you freeze immediately after baking? I think part of my problem was that I was freezing only what was leftover after shabbos (ie I'd bake 4 challos, then freeze the one leftover). When I baked a lot at once, I decided to freeze the extras right away and they turned out better.

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 1:11 pm
that may be your problem. as that 4th challah sits over shabbos, it gets "staler." why don't you freeze it right away? and if you need something for lechem mishna, use matza.

Chanie

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 1:29 pm
I freeze all my challah. I usually bake on Wednesday (never have time later in the week) I take out 2 before shabbos, and defrost as I need. (A sliced challah defrosts in almost no time, if you run out in middle of the meal)

chen

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 1:47 pm
Meema2Kids wrote:
Do you freeze immediately after baking? I think part of my problem was that I was freezing only what was leftover after shabbos (ie I'd bake 4 challos, then freeze the one leftover).

well, of course! by the time you're freezing after shabbos the challah is already more than a day old and has already started going stale. if you want frsh taste you gotta freeze it when it's fresh!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 2:46 pm
you can't let it sit in there forever. the less time the better.

didan

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 2:52 pm
B"H

I freeze my challah all the time. (No Kosher bakery where I live for backups, so I keep my freezer stocked for emergencies.)

What works for me is to double bag it. I first put the Challah into a regular food storage bag, and then I put that bag into a ziplock bag. It keeps it very nicely. My challahs taste fresh out of the oven, they are soft and delicious.

chen

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 6:57 pm
wht is a "challah" ziplok bag?

ektsm

Post Mon, Feb 20 2006, 12:39 pm
Make sure you put it in a tight bag that won't attract any freezer bag.

realeez

Post Mon, Feb 20 2006, 1:44 pm
I like the challah ziploc bags too - they are really big ziploc bags that can fit in 2 challahs. They are also great for freezing somethign in a 9x13 pan - fits over it perfectly.
The fresher the challah is when you freeze it, the fresher it will take.

supermommy

Post Mon, Feb 20 2006, 6:14 pm
I freeze challah that lasts me a month and a half. When I bake it I don't let it turn brown and crusty. (It's a barely golden brown) and I also use the ziploc 2 gallon freezer bags. I put them into the bags while they are still warm and make sure to get all the air out. I defrost about 3-4 hours before the meal and they taste fresh, delicious and they're never dried out. If you like the brown crusty type just put it in the oven for a little bit right before shabbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen