Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Sifting whole wheat flour

lech lecha08

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 2:53 am
Do you need a special sifter specifically for whole wheat flour? I tried it in the one I usually use for regular flour and it was taking so long, I gave up and only used the white flour.

shalhevet

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 3:22 am
In Israel I now only buy whole wheat flour that has been vacuum packed or frozen on the day it was sifted, and so doesn't require sifting.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 3:27 am
lech lecha08 wrote:
Do you need a special sifter specifically for whole wheat flour? I tried it in the one I usually use for regular flour and it was taking so long, I gave up and only used the white flour.
I only use whole wheat flour, never sifted anything else so I really do not know how long is long, but when you say it took too long, what do you mean? if I have a cup and a half to sift, it can take maybe 3, 4 minutes. is that long?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 3:28 am
shalhevet wrote:
In Israel I now only buy whole wheat flour that has been vacuum packed or frozen on the day it was sifted, and so doesn't require sifting.
wow, ive never seen that. that sounds like a great thing to buy. never having to sift again Smile

hila

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 3:33 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
wow, ive never seen that. that sounds like a great thing to buy. never having to sift again Smile

You can get it at the Duvdevan stores ( the one in Efrat has it) . It is either in a sack - and you weigh it out yourself, or in bags of approx 1kg each.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 3:36 am
hila wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

You can get it at the Duvdevan stores ( the one in Efrat has it) . It is either in a sack - and you weigh it out yourself, or in bags of approx 1kg each.
cool Smile

hila

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 3:45 am
come in and visit - I am 5 minutes from the store

shalhevet

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 3:49 am
They sell it in regular mehadrin stores now - look in the freezer, or ask.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 4:15 am
hila wrote:
if and when I go, if I remember ill let you know Wink

I dont really mind sifting. is such flour more expensive?

LisaS

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 6:02 am
I had thought that if you sift WW flour you are sifting out the healthy part. When you sift it does all of it go through the sifter or do you have some left on top?

I know that shefa shuk carries WW frozen flour.

shalhevet

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 6:10 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
hila wrote:
if and when I go, if I remember ill let you know Wink

I dont really mind sifting. is such flour more expensive?

It's more expensive, but sifting WW flour is not really very good halachically (or healthwise as Lisa mentioned). A sifter with large enough holes to let WW through also lets tiny bugs through.

Previously rabbanim allowed it because there wasn't an alternative, but now there is, I heard it is better not to buy regular WW anymore.

I think what hila is referring to is what someone sold here a few years ago - she would buy a whole sack ground that day, and everyone would come and buy the same day and keep it in their freezers.

hila

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 6:32 am
My dh has just gone to get some, I will tell you cost per kilo when he gets back .. you ghuys reminded me that I need to make challot and pizza this week.
And he usually takes a break around now . (there is a 1:30 mincha at the pizza store Smile

hila

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 6:49 am
10sh /kilo

Imma

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 6:51 am
When I used to shop in Shepha there was always sifted whole wheat flour too

catonmylap

Post Mon, May 25 2009, 8:23 am
I also started only buying it pre-sifted.

It's in the refrigerators at the health food stores. They have 70% and 95% whole wheat.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 27 2009, 7:31 pm
I sift my ww flour, and then check what's left in the sifter basket for bugs. If there's no bugs, then I dump all of the bran that's left over back into the sifted flour.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen