Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
My mending pile is growing

yo'ma

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 3:03 pm
I haven't had anything to mend in so long and just in the past week, I have like 8 things to mend and they're all pants (I have 4 boys, excluding my dh). I don't like to mend, but I wouldn't send it out because I can do it myself b"h. I'd rather start from scratch then fix, well not boys pants. It's not even hard stuff, just buttons or stitching up the crotch that split.
How big is your mending pile and do you do it or send it out?

red sea

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 3:06 pm
I always pile it up til there is a bunch then send it out, so now its empty cuz I sent it out before pesach. but to me sewing on a button is a great accomplishment.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 4:06 pm
good place to hid things, the mending pile !

mummiedearest

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 4:18 pm
how old are your boys? are they old enough to sew on a button?

yo'ma

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 4:24 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
how old are your boys? are they old enough to sew on a button?

No, the oldest is almost 9 k"h. My daughter wants to learn how to sew, she's almost 10. I let her practice sometimes, but not often because I have to be on top of her so she doesn't sew herself and I don't really want her using my machine. My brother when he was in h.s. he tried to make himself a shirt. It wasn't so bad except he marked it and you could see it on the right side. embarrassed

mummiedearest

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 4:26 pm
a 9 year old can sew on a button. I learned at about 7. make sure he uses a thimble, is all. buttons are easy. I say if they can pop a button they can sew it back on.

mama-star

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 4:54 pm
yo'ma, my mending pile is quite large right now...I'm starting to like the idea of just shipping it out and paying someone else to do it!

Mimisinger

Post Wed, May 07 2008, 5:39 pm
I don't have a mending pile...why is that? Hmmm I sew buttons back on asap and nothing else gets ripped. ds is too young and dh is too old.

raizy

Post Mon, May 19 2008, 6:26 pm
I sent out the hard things. and the hems when I dont have time to fix it. the buttons I do at 8:00 am when they and I realize that the shirt that they are wearing has one button off. I do it on the spot.

yo'ma

Post Fri, May 23 2008, 10:12 am
]B"h, I finished!!!!!!!!!!
(well almost, but I need to get buttons and they're uniform shirts which they have a lot of, so they don't count. LOL Confused Rolling Eyes )
Until tomorrow when somebody rips something, a button falls off, or a hem falls down Sad . I do believe in ayin hara.

3Qts

Post Fri, May 23 2008, 10:50 am
A miracle happened this week. My Cleaning lady of over 2 years came over yesterday with a pile of items that need mending. She said I have a sewing machine and can do it home. She walked away with a huge shopping bag.

flowerpower

Post Fri, May 23 2008, 3:16 pm
you can either do it now before your pile gets bigger or you can leave it there until they outgrow it and you will be off the hook.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 12:53 am
I'm a wierdo. I like to do hand mending. For me it's relaxing, like embroidery or knitting. I keep a sewing pile by my comfy chair, and do it when I'm feeling inspired.

HooRYou

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 1:12 am
I know someone who started a mend and learn group in her house. You bring your mending and sew while someone gives a shiur. Any kind of mending group would work since it is more interesting than sitting at home doing it alone.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 4:01 pm
HooRYou wrote:
I know someone who started a mend and learn group in her house. You bring your mending and sew while someone gives a shiur. Any kind of mending group would work since it is more interesting than sitting at home doing it alone.

Oh, that sounds wonderful!

I've taken in mending for other families when times were lean, and I can't tell you how grateful I was for some honest work and some grocery money. I'm so glad my great-grandmother taught me how to hand sew. I think it's one of those skills that everyone should learn, even if you always plan to send out. You never know when you'll need it (like 15 minutes before you're supposed to leave for a simcha, and you don't have anything else to wear!)

ruthla

Post Tue, May 26 2009, 4:22 pm
I never "send it out". Either I fix it, one of the girls fixes it (often with my help), or we decide the rip is too big to fix and the garment goes into the "scrap fabric" pile.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics