Home

Sifting whole wheat flour

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


lech lecha08









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 25 2009, 2:53 am       Post subject: sifting whole wheat flour
Do you need a special sifter specifically for whole wheat flour? I tried it in the one I usually use for regular flour and it was taking so long, I gave up and only used the white flour.
_________________
Don't worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you
Back to top

shalhevet









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 25 2009, 3:22 am       Post subject:
In Israel I now only buy whole wheat flour that has been vacuum packed or frozen on the day it was sifted, and so doesn't require sifting.
_________________
Professional Hebrew>English translations - pm for details. "Why is it okay to judge people going through a difficult time (and doing everything according to halacha) but not someone who intermarries or lives a life Hashem calls an abomination." (abound)
Back to top

shabbatiscoming









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 25 2009, 3:27 am       Post subject: Re: sifting whole wheat flour
lech lecha08 wrote:
Do you need a special sifter specifically for whole wheat flour? I tried it in the one I usually use for regular flour and it was taking so long, I gave up and only used the white flour.
I only use whole wheat flour, never sifted anything else so I really do not know how long is long, but when you say it took too long, what do you mean? if I have a cup and a half to sift, it can take maybe 3, 4 minutes. is that long?
Back to top

shabbatiscoming









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 25 2009, 3:28 am       Post subject:
shalhevet wrote:
In Israel I now only buy whole wheat flour that has been vacuum packed or frozen on the day it was sifted, and so doesn't require sifting.
wow, ive never seen that. that sounds like a great thing to buy. never having to sift again Smile
Back to top

hila









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 25 2009, 3:33 am       Post subject:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
In Israel I now only buy whole wheat flour that has been vacuum packed or frozen on the day it was sifted, and so doesn't require sifting.
wow, ive never seen that. that sounds like a great thing to buy. never having to sift again Smile


You can get it at the Duvdevan stores ( the one in Efrat has it) . It is either in a sack - and you weigh it out yourself, or in bags of approx 1kg each.
_________________
Hila
Certified doula/birth assistant
In Israel, Ima to 4 kids and 1 dil and two sils
and the four sweetest grandsons and one granddaughter
Back to top

shabbatiscoming









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 25 2009, 3:36 am       Post subject:
hila wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
In Israel I now only buy whole wheat flour that has been vacuum packed or frozen on the day it was sifted, and so doesn't require sifting.
wow, ive never seen that. that sounds like a great thing to buy. never having to sift again Smile


You can get it at the Duvdevan stores ( the one in Efrat has it) . It is either in a sack - and you weigh it out yourself, or in bags of approx 1kg each.
cool Smile
Back to top

hila









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 25 2009, 3:45 am       Post subject:
come in and visit - I am 5 minutes from the store
Back to top

shalhevet









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 25 2009, 3:49 am       Post subject:
They sell it in regular mehadrin stores now - look in the freezer, or ask.
Back to top

shabbatiscoming









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 25 2009, 4:15 am       Post subject:
hila wrote:
come in and visit - I am 5 minutes from the store
if and when I go, if I remember ill let you know Wink

I dont really mind sifting. is such flour more expensive?
Back to top

LisaS









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 25 2009, 6:02 am       Post subject: re: sifting whole wheat flour
I had thought that if you sift WW flour you are sifting out the healthy part. When you sift it does all of it go through the sifter or do you have some left on top?

I know that shefa shuk carries WW frozen flour.
Back to top

shalhevet









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 25 2009, 6:10 am       Post subject:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
hila wrote:
come in and visit - I am 5 minutes from the store
if and when I go, if I remember ill let you know Wink

I dont really mind sifting. is such flour more expensive?


It's more expensive, but sifting WW flour is not really very good halachically (or healthwise as Lisa mentioned). A sifter with large enough holes to let WW through also lets tiny bugs through.

Previously rabbanim allowed it because there wasn't an alternative, but now there is, I heard it is better not to buy regular WW anymore.

I think what hila is referring to is what someone sold here a few years ago - she would buy a whole sack ground that day, and everyone would come and buy the same day and keep it in their freezers.
Back to top

hila









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 25 2009, 6:32 am       Post subject:
My dh has just gone to get some, I will tell you cost per kilo when he gets back .. you ghuys reminded me that I need to make challot and pizza this week.
And he usually takes a break around now . (there is a 1:30 mincha at the pizza store Smile
Back to top

hila









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 25 2009, 6:49 am       Post subject:
10sh /kilo
Back to top

Imma









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 25 2009, 6:51 am       Post subject: re: sifting whole wheat flour
When I used to shop in Shepha there was always sifted whole wheat flour too
Back to top

catonmylap









  
Post Posted: Mon, May 25 2009, 8:23 am       Post subject: re: sifting whole wheat flour
I also started only buying it pre-sifted.

It's in the refrigerators at the health food stores. They have 70% and 95% whole wheat.
Back to top

FranticFrummie









  
Post Posted: Wed, May 27 2009, 7:31 pm       Post subject: re: sifting whole wheat flour
I sift my ww flour, and then check what's left in the sifter basket for bugs. If there's no bugs, then I dump all of the bran that's left over back into the sifted flour.
Back to top
View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Page 1 of 1

Similar Topics Replies Last Post
No new posts Sifting whole wheat flour?
by Frum
3 Tue, Mar 10 2009, 5:26 pm View latest post
No new posts Are white whole wheat & whole wheat pastry flour the sam 7 Sun, May 19 2013, 2:56 pm View latest post
No new posts Substitute whole wheat flour? 7 Sun, Mar 09 2008, 1:19 pm View latest post
No new posts White Whole Wheat Flour
by wtvr
12 Fri, Jul 09 2010, 2:42 pm View latest post
No new posts White Whole Wheat Flour
by amother
18 Wed, Jan 30 2008, 11:38 pm View latest post


Jump to:  







Report offensive ad