Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Fever-second or third day

bnm

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 11:51 am
my daughter got shots on Tuesday and is running fever since. The dr. had said yesterday if it goes up I should bring her in, it's exactly the same, do I have to panic and call the emergency number or fever is normal for a few days?

Ashrei

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 3:36 pm
My daughter had a HIGH fever @ 14 months for 5 days straight. Every time I brought her to a doctor (one was a walk in clinic and one was the ER - we were traveling so we couldn't take her to a pediatrician), they just said that she had a cold and to wait it out.

I learned through the doctors that if she's uncomfortable (crying etc), to give her motrin/ibuprofin. The dosage is on the bottle. Otherwise, let the fever run it's course. (Always check with her ped before giving her anything.) Also, I gave her children's benedryl to help her sleep. I had to get the dosage from her ped.

Big warning signs (according to the doctors I spoke to): If she's crying and INCONSOLABLE. Or if she's lethargic and pale.

Considering that she got the fever after a shot, I don't know if that changes anything. If I were you, I wouldn't panic, just keep her comfortable, and check her temperature frequently, and call if it goes up 1 degree.

There are some shots where my doctor told me to "expect a fever in 2 days or so." The fever never manifested itself in my case, but it's different for each baby.

I'm sure she'll be fine. Smile

(PS: children are supposed to be in tip top shape before doctors will give them shots. No cold symptoms whatsoever should be present going into the shot. I'm just wondering if your daughter had a cold when they gave her the shot?)

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, May 28 2009, 4:00 pm
I would say if it's getting worse, uncontrollable with tylenol, etc. and longer than 3 days...

You know your baby, if something is strange, follow your intuition! (but iyh, she'll just have a normal response to the shots!)

bnm

Post Sat, May 30 2009, 8:43 pm
after a few days the fever is over but the cold is worse. I did take her to the dr. for a sick visit the day before, he said she was fine, only a slight cough. If her breathing gets affected (despite being nebulized) then I guess I'll pay them another visit.... I was there 3 times last week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics