Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
What to do with loads of onions?

MommyLuv

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 10:22 am
Anyone have a quick side dish using lots of onions?

louche

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 10:27 am
Saute them all in olive oil, season with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic, and serve hot. That's all you need.

Or saute the whole batch and freeze in blobs so you have sauteed onions on hand to season any dish.

caringarden

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 10:29 am
I chop them up and put in ziplocks with a drop of salt and oil in the freezer. Then when I need a chopped onion, I grab one out of the freezer and its fine.

Twoisacharm

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 10:29 am
saute in olive oil, salt and pepper then roll it (burrito style not jelly roll) in either filo pastry or my favorite puff pastry egg wash and bake til golden - onion pie

you can also do the same prep and make onion borekas yum

yaelinIN

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 10:30 am
make an onion kugel/quiche? I use some mushrooms too but have done it with just onions as well. 4 eggs, big dollop of mayo (1 heaping T), salt, pepper, thyme or oregano, and a pie crust if you want the quiche version. Sautee 4 onions on med heat with o oil (or spray oil) until brown and soft (probably 30 minutes stirring occasionally) let cool a bit and mix in the rest of the stuff.... bake at 350 for 45mins-1 hr until barely firm in the middle.

Good shabbos!

Raisin

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 10:30 am
put on top of chicken. fried with green beans. fried with rice. cut into chunks and roast with other veggies, or with the chicken.

freeze the excess.

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 10:43 pm
yaelinIN wrote:
make an onion kugel/quiche? I use some mushrooms too but have done it with just onions as well. 4 eggs, big dollop of mayo (1 heaping T), salt, pepper, thyme or oregano, and a pie crust if you want the quiche version. Sautee 4 onions on med heat with o oil (or spray oil) until brown and soft (probably 30 minutes stirring occasionally) let cool a bit and mix in the rest of the stuff.... bake at 350 for 45mins-1 hr until barely firm in the middle.

Good shabbos!

I made this recipe, thanks!! It came out GREAT!

Blair

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 10:58 pm
onion soup

Clarissa

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 10:59 pm
When I have a lot of onions, I cook them down and caramelize them. Then I use them in different ways. There's nothing like caramelized onions, and it takes a ton to make a pretty small amount.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 11:17 pm
I cook with a lot of onions ...

queen

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 11:21 pm
Blair wrote:
onion soup

Kosher by Design- Kids has a GREAT onion soup recipe.
Doesn't make too much, so easily double it up when making.

I was also going to add, as others have done before me-- saute onions... and then package them in half cup quantities, and freeze. I freeze mine in plastic (disposable) cups, covered with a couple layers of foil, and each cup in individual ziplock bag.

Whenever recipe calls for fried onions- I grab a bag (cup) from the freezer and defrost in microwave before adding to recipe or placing in frying pan. SAVES SO MUCH TIME in future recipes!

Blair

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 11:33 pm
Forgot about onion kugel.

Butterfly

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 12:52 am
Clarissa wrote:
When I have a lot of onions, I cook them down and caramelize them. Then I use them in different ways. There's nothing like caramelized onions, and it takes a ton to make a pretty small amount.

How do you caramelize them?
Sounds yum..

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 7:40 am
Chop or slice them, put some oil or butter in the pan, and cook them over low-medium heat, stirring and stirring, as they get darker and darker and softer. Don't let them burn. As they cook the natural sweetness is released, and they get sweeter and sweeter. If they're yellow onions, I might add a tiny bit of sugar (and I mean tiny) at some point to move it along, and a tiny bit of salt. If they're Vidalia or Spanish (or some other sweeter onion) the sugar is not needed. It takes a long time to get it right -- I'm talking maybe 30-45 minutes or so. But what you have left, at the end is delicious. Then I use it in other things -- mix in with scrambled eggs, put in a quiche, use on top of burgers (veggie in our case), for a few examples. Sometimes I do it with onion-mushrooms together, adding the mushrooms later.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes