Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
ISO "Real" lo mein noodles

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 5:33 pm
Where can I find / how can I make real lo mein noodles, like the ones in the Chinese restaurants?
Is this the noodle that I have to buy, or is there another one that I should be looking for?
And where can I find what I need in Brooklyn?
TIA

http://www.nasoya.com/nasoya/p......html

cookielady

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 7:27 pm
I use the nasoya wonton wrappers and egg roll skins. I didn't know they made noodles. I must go look for them. Have you tried Whole Foods. I think they carry that brand. It's not much help to you but I find these products in The Kroger when traveling to NC.

I'll let you know if I find them anywhere.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 10:07 pm
cookielady wrote:
I use the nasoya wonton wrappers and egg roll skins. I didn't know they made noodles. I must go look for them. Have you tried Whole Foods. I think they carry that brand. It's not much help to you but I find these products in The Kroger when traveling to NC.

Thanks! So you slice up the wonton wrappers? I can do that- they sell the Nasoya wrappers at my supermarket!

cookielady

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 10:43 pm
ra_mom wrote:
cookielady wrote:

Thanks! So you slice up the wonton wrappers? I can do that- they sell the Nasoya wrappers at my supermarket!

No, sorry. you misunderstood me (or I wasn't clear) I have been able to buy Nasoya wrappers and I haven't seen the noodles.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 10:47 pm
cookielady wrote:
No, sorry. you misunderstood me (or I wasn't clear) I have been able to buy Nasoya wrappers and I haven't seen the noodles.

Oh well Smile I guess I'll see if my supermarket can special order the Nasoya noodles.
If not, off I schlepp to Whole Foods.
Thanks!

wtvr

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 10:48 pm
Do you have an Asian market near you? They should have it. (Not necessarily Nasoya, but other brands)

YALT

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 10:49 pm
haven't tried those, but in Crown Heights, I buy the Udon noodles. You can get them in Benz's on Albany.
http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com.....-5-oz

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 10:51 pm
wtvr wrote:
Do you have an Asian market near you? They should have it. (Not necessarily Nasoya, but other brands)

I don't have an Asian market near me (that I know of anyway.)
Have you bought real lo mein noodles? Are they located in the refrigerator section?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 10:52 pm
YALT wrote:
haven't tried those, but in Crown Heights, I buy the Udon noodles. You can get them in Benz's on Albany.
http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com.....-5-oz

Thanks! Same question, are they located in the refrigerator section? Smile

YALT

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 11:09 pm
no. You buy them in a plastic pkg off the shelf, like pastas. there are 3 types. Udon, Soba, and somen. I don't remember which is which.
They're actually supposed to be as healthy, or healthier than whole wheat. I don't remember the details. But you can google it.

cookielady

Post Sun, Jun 07 2009, 11:32 pm
There is a big difference in the taste of fresh noodles (in the fridge) vs. packaged noodles. I used to be able to get the type ra_mom is looking for and it really made food taste like the real deal as far as Asian cooking goes.

YALT

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 12:27 am
could be. As I said, I've never tried them.
So does anyone know where we can get them?

wtvr

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 10:09 am
ra_mom wrote:
wtvr wrote:

I don't have an Asian market near me (that I know of anyway.)
Have you bought real lo mein noodles? Are they located in the refrigerator section?

Yes, I've bought them. They're in the refridgerator section. In a regular supermarket, (I don't know about the kosher one- never looked) they should have the Nasoya, next to the wonton and eggroll wrappers.

mamacita

Post Mon, Jun 08 2009, 11:59 pm
I can find them at the local walmart in the cooler near the produce. It's with the tofu/wonton wrappers, etc. They are delish and come with their own spice packet. I can't remember the hashgocha, star-k maybe?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes