Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Hachnasa L'cheder - writing on egg and cake

curlyhead

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 11:18 pm
we are making a hachnasa lcheder for my som. Just wondering how you write the pesukim egg and the cake. Does it have to be engraved? Could you use frosting?

red sea

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 11:19 pm
What's a hachnasa l'cheder?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 10:05 am
You take a toothpick to write the posuk into the cake itself, no frosting.

Mommy912

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 10:12 am
What does an egg have to do with Cheder?

roza

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 10:55 am
u buy food marker in judaica or Tzivos Hashem store and ask your husband to write on egg.

supermom

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 1:38 pm
can someone please explain what is going on I am really confused.

curlyhead

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 2:35 pm
After a boys opsherin either that day or later on it is a custom to take the kid to cheder to show them the beuty of torah and get them excited about Torah. Some custom which people do in cheder is the kid reads alef Beis covered with honey and then they eat the honey to show them how sweet the Torah is. It is alos a custom to bake a honey cake and write a passuk on it and on an egg and then the kid eats some. The reason of the egg is because egg is helps open the mind to learn torah.

Roza - who said everyone lives in Crown heights. dont know where to get a kosher food marker where I live.

koolmother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 3:00 pm
there is actually a whole booklet from the rebbe on this and what exactly you have to do and how.

but basically on the cake it has to be engraved you could do it with a knife or with a toothpick and you dont have to be able to read it the rebbi reads it from a paper. and the cake has to be baked by an unmarried girl.

the egg you dip a toothpick into food coloring and then you write on it the whole posuk

both pesoukim are long so write small

if uo need more info you can pm me

I dont know how much time you have but I can mail you the booklet I have

curlyhead

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 6:38 pm
food coloring is too liquidy.

The opsherin book is not in stock here but I have an article from an old Nshei Newsletter about it.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 8:24 pm
YEAH, THE POSUK HAS TO BE ENGRAVED in THE CAKE. NOT THE FROSTING.

chanab

Post Thu, Feb 23 2006, 11:04 pm
I dip a toothpick into the food coloring. Its easier to engrave on the cake if you spread a thin layer of frosting and then engrave thru the frosting and cake. I like to do a white frosting, so its easier to read (contrasting with the brown cake). The cake has to be baked by a woman who is tahor. (If you know you won´t be, make in advance and freeze)

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Feb 24 2006, 1:22 am
I wrote the passuk with a toothpick dipped in a coffee paste.(this was the old "recipe" maybe the marker is a more recent thing. Our last upsherin was five years ago). mix coffee with very slight amount of liquid. I waited with each word till it became dry so it wouldn't smear while I was writing the next word, and as I turned the egg.

Sichos in English gave out a booklet. Many of these minhagim are brought down in sefer RoKeach.( one of the Rishonim, in times of Baalei haTosfos)

Mazal Tov!!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 24 2006, 10:32 am
again..you arent' supposed to use frosting!!!!!

Tefila

Post Fri, Feb 24 2006, 3:31 pm
Egg r u sure u davka want to do that Confused so close to their E Holiday Confused

chanab

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 7:14 pm
Tefila, I´m not sure I understand you...Just bc its close to their holiday, we should skip an important minhag brough down in seforim, practised by our rabeim etc?
Goldrose-do you have a source for not using frosting even if the letters are engraved thru the cake?

Tefila

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 9:12 pm
Goes to show u how well I read u'r post embarrassed Yup when you spelt it out so well u have a point Very Happy

happyone

Post Sat, Feb 25 2006, 9:32 pm
Interesting. Havent heard of this b4.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen