Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Gaining weight excercising

miichal

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 12:19 am
I have been working out (not intensly, jogging,squats, jumping jacks, crunches...) just for over a week, 1/2 hour a day, and I put on 4 lbs, no change in diet (if anything, healthier and lighter). is this normal?

lilacdreams

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 1:19 am
it could be a range of things from "that time in your cycle" to converting the fat into muscle (muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less room in the body)

to get a real look at what's going on follow your body thru a whole cycle and see if itsa continuing trend or it goes away in a week or so...

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 9:22 am
Fat doesn't change into muscle - and chances are, you're not building 4 pounds of muscle in one week.
Most likely, it's probably water weight.

bubby

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 9:31 am
I thought this kind of thing only happens to me! It's so depressing isn't it? You do the right thing & get "punished" for it. Sad

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 9:35 am
I wouldn't think of it as punishment. Just because the scale puts you at +4, don't let that worry you. Exercising is beneficial in so many ways other than just helping one lose weight.

Make sure you're not eating more just because you're working out.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 10:19 am
Are you hungrier because you're exercising ?

Starhavah

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 10:53 am
Are you drinking more and not drinking water or highly watered down juice. Also often when people start exercising they tend to snack after the exercise. If so, make sure you are snacking on a piece of whole fruit or vegetable (ie a cucumber or celery stick). People often snack thinking that they "worked it off" so it does not count and then eat just as big a dinner as usual and wind up eating more than they took off.

Remember 30 minutes on a treadmill at 3 miles per hour does not even burn off one candy bar.

Do not get discouraged. The weight will come off.

lilacdreams

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 11:01 am
yeah I didnt mean fat turning into muscle - I should have writen fat is being burnt and muscle is being formed - but its true that doesnt normally happen in one week. So as I said follow your body for a month and see if its a continuing trend or not....

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 2:19 pm
Miichal, you should measure yourself.

miichal

Post Tue, Jun 09 2009, 11:57 pm
I guess I should play it out for a while, I am just after my period and no, I dont eat more, interestingly enough, after I excersize (early morn) I shower and sit down for breakfast, and I eat about 1/2 of what I usually eat, I guess it shrinks my morning appetite, I will see what happens over the next few weeks

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 11:22 am
Do you hve a really good scale ?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jun 10 2009, 4:24 pm
It's not always the scale but the figure and cloth size. Don't get discouraged and keep on going!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise