Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Baltimore community
Previous  1  2  3

amother

Post Fri, Jun 12 2009, 3:28 pm
forgot to mention, we are not satmar and I just read that taub is satmar, is that true? although my boys have peyos, I don't think they'd fit in at a satmar camp or school. goldberger isn't satmar is he?

amother

Post Fri, Jun 12 2009, 3:34 pm
Why don't you call Mrs. Goldberger. She's just as nice and warm as she can be.

But, AFAIK I am pretty sure the Goldbergers had their boys to Talmudical Academy, at least for elementary. There is another chassidish family there too... New Squarers, I think, with long peyos.

Not sure where they send to camp. TA does have a day camp, though. Not sure which ages you need for school and whether you mean day or sleep away camp.

(posting anon to protect my location)

amother

Post Fri, Jun 12 2009, 3:50 pm
I'm looking for sleep-away camp for 12 year old boy (I'm the mom of the non-satmar kids with peyos) and the camp pictures look pretty on the TA website but I can't figure out if it's a day camp or not. anyone know? also, if I send my son to TA for the school year is it hard to find host families in baltimore for the out of towners to live by? or is there a dorm?

amother

Post Fri, Jun 12 2009, 4:22 pm
Which school told you to cut off your kids' peyos?

If your kids are confident with who they are, they should not need to change their appearance to be accepted. In Baltimore, almost anything goes.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 12 2009, 4:43 pm
amother wrote:
I'm looking for sleep-away camp for 12 year old boy (I'm the mom of the non-satmar kids with peyos) and the camp pictures look pretty on the TA website but I can't figure out if it's a day camp or not. anyone know? also, if I send my son to TA for the school year is it hard to find host families in baltimore for the out of towners to live by? or is there a dorm?

TA is a day camp.

Dorming is available on campus. Not sure if kids can board instead of dorming.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 12 2009, 5:52 pm
amother wrote:
forgot to mention, we are not satmar and I just read that taub is satmar, is that true? although my boys have peyos, I don't think they'd fit in at a satmar camp or school. goldberger isn't satmar is he?

Goldberger is Hornesteipel AFAIK. The Taub family was originally Puppa, but I think they've been Satmar since post-war.

momoswyf

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 12:50 pm
I would think that there are more boys with long payos in TI than TA. Remember that Rabbi Goldberger's focus is on kiruv, so what he did with his kids is not typical for a chossid to do and not all his sons have long payos, fyi.

Health is a Virture

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 3:24 pm
I thought I was from Baltimore and lived there for 22 years, but I see that the city has REALLY changed!!! I kept reading county as country and was like "boy, people call Greenspring the country?" and then I realized. I grew up with no neighbors and now where I grew up, well, you say 90% is frum, wow!!

Baltimore is a great place for people to grow. A person does not have to mold themselves to "fit in." (at least the way I remember Baltimore) So especially for a baalas teshuva who doesn't want to be stuck in a certain group and can grow, Baltimore would seem like an ideal place.

You have to remember though that regardless of where you are living , everybody is really going to the same schools, so it really doesn't matter exactly where you live. You can walk to most shuls from wherever you are, or at least find a shul that you feel comfortable in.

As for your sons' peyos. I don't mean to be rude, but why do your sons have peyos? I wouldn't necessarily say to cut them off, but if you are saying that you are fairly "modern", then the school and shul that you attend may also be that way, and then your kids won't really fit in. But, presumably, if you insist on having your children with peyos, I would recommend Shearis Hapleitah (TI), and for girls it's Bais Yaakov, or the other new Bais Yaakov type of school (and from what I understand both schools post regular frum girls go to.) so you will fit in.

Also I don't know abut other people, and maybe this is something that has changed in recent years, but you don't need to have friends right next door. Nobody lived on my block (there were no houses), so I walked a mile to my friends, not a big deal, in those days you could walk anywhere in the frum community. Even though Baltimore has grown, presumably you can still walk to most people, and it's just shabbos that it's an issue. Your friends can get together with school friends on Sunday.

You may want to meet the shul rabbis, spend a few shabbosim in Baltimore in the different communities and choose a shul and rav. Once you do that, then find a house in walking distance to the shul. also, one can have a 21208 zip and live in the city, meaning higher taxes, but lower car insurance rates.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 11:09 pm
I think you mean city=lower taxes and higher insurance.

The zip code boundaries have nothing to do with city/county. Some borders zig zag and some streets are both city and county. So make sure you know what you are getting.

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 10:45 am
Health, I think you are confusing two posters. The OP is a baalas teshuva and a different amother is the one whose sons have payos.
Amother, where do you live now? As far as I know, Baltimore doesn't have sleep-away camps. Where do Balto boys go? All over!
How old is your son? If you want to send him to school in Balto. there are plenty of boys at TI with payos but TI only goes until 8th grade and doesn't have a dorm. Although most TA boys don't have payos, I doubt they would mock a boy with them. TA does have a dorm- I'm assuming for High School boys.

I think what Health meant about 21208 (which runs in the city and county) is that although you're in the city (higher taxes), you'll have lower insurance than 21215 (which is all in the city). 21209 is also a mix of city/county with lower insurance than 21215. Another city/county argument is for those who have kids with special needs. The county benefits are supposedly much better for that (b"H I don't have any experience with this, but that's what I've heard).

I've never heard of the "Baltimore Rebbe." Rabbi Heinemann? LOL

amother

Post Tue, Jun 16 2009, 11:08 am
This is off topic, but regarding the Baltimore community, the following was a surprise to me -- Baltimore on par with Crown Heights and Jerusalem! Scratching Head LOL

From http://collive.com/show_news.rtx?id=4063

Quote:

A Chabad wedding is always a grand simcha, but usually it’s a simcha taking place in Crown Heights or Baltimore or Jerusalem — places where, unlike in the Bay Area, there are large populations of Chassidic Jews (of which the Chabad community is a subset).

amother

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 3:31 pm
I have been following this post with interest. I wanted to also suggest to the OP to look at Darchei Tzedek as a shul. It is a smaller crowd with a mix of ages. there is a nice youngish chevra of families who are very close-knit. it includes some FFB's and some BT's and they are very lovely and low-key, tznius kind of people. Good luck with your move!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 3:38 pm
Darchei Tzedek is nice, but not as close as some other shuls from Falstaff/Westbrook... Smile

ArthurDent

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 8:45 pm
amother wrote:
I have been following this post with interest. I wanted to also suggest to the OP to look at Darchei Tzedek as a shul. It is a smaller crowd with a mix of ages. there is a nice youngish chevra of families who are very close-knit. it includes some FFB's and some BT's and they are very lovely and low-key, tznius kind of people. Good luck with your move!

We'd heard about that place and were hoping to find something close to there, but alas, very little that we liked was available to buy. Darchei Tzedek actually happens to be Rabbi Kaganoff's former shul; Reb. Kaganoff taught at my seminary.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 9:25 pm
It's really not far at all from the house you bought. If you walk up Labyrinth to Marnat and turn left, it's right up the block. I'd say no longer than a 10 minute walk.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 9:26 pm
p.s. What seminary does Rabbi Kaganoff teach at?

ArthurDent

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 9:34 pm
amother wrote:
p.s. What seminary does Rabbi Kaganoff teach at?

I don't think Rabbi Kaganoff teaches at a seminary. But his wife teaches at She'arim.

Tova

Post Wed, Jun 17 2009, 10:01 pm
ArthurDent wrote:
amother wrote:

We'd heard about that place and were hoping to find something close to there, but alas, very little that we liked was available to buy. Darchei Tzedek actually happens to be Rabbi Kaganoff's former shul; Reb. Kaganoff taught at my seminary.

Yes, and the current Rav, Rabbi Yaakov Horowitz is A GEM. A real gem, and I don't say that lightly. We now go to him on nearly all of our hashkafah related issues - chinuch, family relationships, etc.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 18 2009, 10:06 am
amother wrote:
It's really not far at all from the house you bought. If you walk up Labyrinth to Marnat and turn left, it's right up the block. I'd say no longer than a 10 minute walk.
Marnat is up 2 blocks from Labyrinth, and it's then 2 long blocks from there...and there is a block down Falstaff to begin with...I guess like half a mile....

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 18 2009, 10:09 am
Tova wrote:
ArthurDent wrote:
amother wrote:

Yes, and the current Rav, Rabbi Yaakov Horowitz is A GEM. A real gem, and I don't say that lightly. We now go to him on nearly all of our hashkafah related issues - chinuch, family relationships, etc.

(Chaval, there are a few houses near my in-laws on the market...and they're across the street from Darchei Smile)

And I agree with Tova's view of Rabbi Horowitz. Smile
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating