Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
What Jewish Videos do you recommend?
Previous  1  2

nehama

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 7:57 pm
Merpk, thanks for being so insistent. I was wondering, too.

LubavitchLeah

Post Sun, Feb 26 2006, 9:48 pm
Daughter watches it.....not so sure I like the crosses being looked at in video. Thanks for info. I watched pieces of it, here and there, need to focus better I guess.

merpk

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 8:54 am
I don't remember the swordfight. But the crosses, I guess it made sense to me to make it clear that they were "the other guys." IYKWIM. Then again, there are three large churches in a two-block radius from our apartment, so they're just part of our landscape. Kind of like they are for folks living in Yerushalayim, you know?

I understand the point, but I guess I don't see the reason that it's controversial.

The swordfight I could see being controversial just from a "no violence" perspective, though it's a skill that comes in handy when the kids are playing "Maccabees" around Khanuka-time, no?

Smile

LubavitchLeah

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 3:48 pm
This was posted with regards I think, if im not mistaken about CROSSES being seen in a video- "I understand the point, but I guess I don't see the reason that it's controversial."

Everything that we see in this world, has an effect on us, maybe not a consiouss effect or one we are even aware of. Crosses are not Toradik images, so yes I can appreciate them tainting a Yiddishe neshama, however silly it may seem to a "rational mind". So I guess along the same vain the churches you speak of in our neighourhood are also not GREAT energies for our Jewish neshamas.

merpk

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 4:10 pm
Lub'Leah, am not disagreeing with you that a cross or a church is "not great energy" for a Yiddishe neshama.

But feel strongly that the positive energy of the "Rashi" video, its educational value and just the holiness of the subject matter and to be honest the beautiful animation ... it is very artistically done ... make the cross issue not a big one.

For very young children, it's maybe too much. But for my 6 & 8yos, they *love* the video, and it was particularly wonderful for the 8yo to have some solid background as to who Rashi was ... which the video provides ... when he started learning to read Rashi script and advancing to learning Khumash with Rashi this year. So whatever negatives the few minutes (at most) of seeing a character wearing a cross might have brought, the positives overwhelm.

Just as in life, we're working hard for the positives to overwhelm the negatives.

And for good energy to overwhelm the negative.

And for our yetzer tov to overwhelm the yetzer ha'rah.

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

It's like this problem I have with needing to have the last word. So if you respond to this, don't be mad at me for keeping it going. It's my yetzer ha'rah at work, just waiting to be overwhelmed ... LOL

Crayon210

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 6:10 pm
merpk wrote:
So whatever negatives the few minutes (at most) of seeing a character wearing a cross might have brought, the positives overwhelm.

How do you know that? Rationally that might be true, but we don't know the power of what we see, and how it affects us.

merpk

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 1:25 am
Can't know it rationally. Smile

Same way that I'm trusting with total bitakhon that G!d is helping each of my children's yetzer tov overwhelm their yetzer ha'rah, I'm trusting with total bitakhon that G!d is helping my children learn the positive lessons where they're to be found and to take from the negative only what they need to know.

Smile

Crayon210

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 9:49 am
How far can that be taken?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics