Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Can't people manage without baby wipes?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

pacifier

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 9:33 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
ChutzPAh wrote:

I shudder to think of the next thread, "Is it considered spoiled to use more than one square of toilet paper per bathroom use?"

Shaking Shaking Shaking Shaking

Tongue Out

Tehilla

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 9:46 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Quote:
I never said wipes aren't useful or time saving. I just said that if someone doesn't have enough money for food, wipes could be something they did without. ss321, you didn't say the needy amother had asked for wipes, just someone suggested imamothers could buy them for her. I was surprised that people viewed them as a necessity and also surprised by some of the responses here that it is so difficult to take a child to the bathroom to wash them off.

Tehilla, I agree that if possible people needing tzedaka should be given nice and non-basic things too. The question is if there is enough money available in this case to provide for basics and extras.

The bottom line here is who is to decide what is basics and what is extras? What is basic for me might be extra for you and vice versa. Would you be upset if someone spent tzedaka money on ketchup? For some that is an extra, in my family it is a staple food like bread. And how about bread? Would you expect anyone who receives tzedaka to make homemade bread since its much cheaper?
Yes, everyone could manage without baby wipes, just like they could manage without mayonnaise and apples and paper towels. But for many people it is a necessity just like apples.

Mrs. XYZ, that was precisely my point.

and also, if a person is already reduced to needing so much tzedaka, it's furthering the shame and embarrassment to suggest why don't you get rid of wipes also...where does the line stop? at what point is it finished?

(and Defy, I also taught my children to use wipes after a younknowwhat for hygiene. interestingly enough, my husband's bubby taught her children and grandchildren the same thing.)
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains