Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Childcare Provider's Thread

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 10:28 am
Anyone interseted in a support thread for those of us who are doing in home childcare, preschool programs, babysitting, gans, etc. We could bounce ideas off each other and just discuss.

If you are a WAHM who takes care of other people's children (and maybe also your own!) jump on in Smile

de_goldy

Post Tue, Apr 28 2009, 10:30 am
I'm in.

Pinky

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 12:48 am
running a daycamp in themountains so guess I can read and be prepared!

Classicookie

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 1:48 am
sounds good

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 1:49 am
This year I watch babies 2x a week.

Next year I am taking preschool kids after gan (tzharon).

I am planning on doing a camp this August for 2 or 3 weeks for preschool ages.

Classicookie

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 9:28 am
I have a day care with my sil we take about 10-12 an hour depening on the ages

Seraph

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 11:15 am
I'll join in. I currently watch 12 little kids aged approx a year and a half to nearly 3 in my house every day from 8-1 or 2, with an assistant a few days a week.

twokids

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 8:56 pm
im in although im a SAHM I do watch my neighbors kids from time to time

amother

Post Thu, Apr 30 2009, 9:04 pm
im in

RachelEve14

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 7:48 am
Do you have a late policy? How do you word it? I'm working on one for next year and it's just not coming together. I want somethiung in place so people don't take advantage, but I don't want to be an awful person about it. At the same time, I'm offering care until 4 or 4:30 and I think it's unfair to have some parents paying less money until 4, but consistently picking up after 4 (I have been told this is a big issue), so I want something in writing I can enforce if the need comes up.

thatslife

Post Sun, May 03 2009, 9:45 am
do you do a weekly fee or an hourly fee. if you do a weekly fee, what I do is I basically tell the parents that they have 3 times per month. if they are late after that I change them to the higher weekly rate. for example I charge x amount for part time and they are always coming late so they have to pay x amount for full time. if they are only late a handful of times I charge them five dollars per time.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 7:10 am
I charge a daily fee (ie: every Monday is one price, 2x a week another, etc). But the daily fee times 5 = monthly fee.

I want to have a certain charge for being late. I just want to figure out how to word it so it's nice but firm and there if I need it, without sounding like I'm goign to be standing at the door with a stopwatch.

amother

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 9:24 pm
how do you deal with a really clingy newborn. I have 3 newborns and 2 one year olds and one of the newborns lately wont let me put her down without shreaking. I hate having a crying baby. what should I do not give the other kids attention to give this kid all the attention that doesnt seem right. im just at wits end. I spoke to the mom and the mom thinks its a fase. and doesnt have an answer. This is an only child and has a parents that dont have a problem with her screaming but hold her all day at home.

amother

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 10:50 pm
amother, maybe try a baby carrier so the baby is being held and you can still do other things?

amother

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 9:37 pm
what are everyone's hours. I work from 8-5 and sometimes after all the kids leave I have such a hard time dealing with my own children. its like sometimes I need a five min breather and I dont get one. does anyone else feel like this. I love being able to stay home with my children. I am a single mom and every moment with them I feel is precious just some days I long for the clock to say 830 to be able to put them to sleep. I feel bad. I feel I should spend time alone with tehm. is it just me.

RachelEve14

Post Fri, May 22 2009, 1:39 am
I feel the same way. It's hard to be "on" all day even if you don't have other kids in your house. When you add in other kids, it becomes even harder. You feel your day is over at 6, and then ... surprise... your kids are still in the house.

No advice, but I can sympathize. I often take me kids out the the park or give them a bit of tv after the other kids leave. It gives us all a break.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 9:35 pm
hi I hope everyone is doing well. is anyone else still working in the summer. I am and I just got a new child in my babysitting. He doesnt let me put him down. he screams and yells and it is affecting the other children, inculding my own. is it rude for me to put him in the crib for him to calm down and the other kids cant hear him screaming. I spoke the mother nad the mother said do what you need to do.. I just feel so guilty.

on the other hand I had this mom sending to me with the knowelege that she was only sending until the summer. but I feel like I was so used. the kid wasnt an easy child. fast foward a few weeks the kid isnt doing well in the group that the mom wanted to send the kid to and so the mom called me up expecting me to take her child back. I know I will but it bothers me to no end. doesnt she realize that I am a human being. doesnt she realize that I could be insulted that to begin with she didnt wnat to use me as opposed to this other lady. this is more of a vent. thanks for listening

Henya

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 9:54 pm
hi! I'm so happy I found this thread. I'm also a home daycare provider. During the school year I have 2 of my own children plus 3 that come to me. During the summer, I have my 3 children home plus the 3 others. My hours are 7:45 A.M. till 1:00 P.M.

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 1:32 am
Amother, I think working with the parents is harder than working with the kids!

In the end I am doing a 2 week camp in August, but with a friend who also does day care so that will make it much better. The last 2 weeks in August I am watching a few kids, but it's more informal babysitting, not a whole camp.

Pizza

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 1:53 am
I am watching 3-4 toddlers, aside from my own, from 7:30 - 4
I have been doing this for about 7 years, in order tro be able to afford to stay home, and not send my babies out

I learned a long time ago that its not worth the emotional drain to let other peoples shtick get to me. When they apologize for pulling out at the last minute, or changing plans, etc... I tell them, "You need to do what is best for you and your family" Which I totally believe.

That said, they also need to pay for their own mistakes. So I have developed policies, like non-refundable deposit to save a space in my care, head checks (10 checks at the beginning of the year), and required 2 months notice for pulling out. So, if they change their mind at the last minute, I still get paid for 2 months (I keep those checks, and return the rest). I also have different rates for kids who come less than 20 hrs/week (slightly higher).

If I had the situation the above amother described, and I could afford to turn the child away, I would probably tell the mother that since she pulled her child, I had decided to have a slightly calmer summer, and was not refilling the space. I would apologize, but explain to her that I had no idea she was thinking of coming back, and that she essentially forfeited the space when she left. If I had filled the space with another child, then she would not have the option of returning, so consider it gone. If she gave me a hard time, then I can always say to her, "Just like you need to do what is right for you and your family, so do I. I am sorry this doesnt fit in with your wishes, but this is the metziyus." I would especially do this since it is a difficult child, and they are so draining on my energy and patience, especially once my own kids come home...

GOod luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers