Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Did dinosaurs ever really exist? - Answers to children
Previous  1  2

supermom

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 11:32 am
Sarayehudis how does that explain the history part ?

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 1:35 pm
a history: meaning that although according to nature it takes thousands of lightyears, or eons for starlight from distant galaxies to reach earth, Hashem created it not as something in process, but rather as something with a past, already having traveled that distance, and reaching earth now.

The canyons that scientists claim would require millions of years to be formed were created in the finished form, ei. with a history, but without that history having to actually transpire.

I think this is what SaraG means, because this is one of the explanations that I have seen in the Rebbe's letters.

GR: about the monkeys, wasn't that what happened to the Dor Haflaga, (that built the Tower of Bavel) after they were dispersed? That's what I always heard.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 2:22 pm
I'm not that learned. Thanks, SY for stepping in.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 2:42 pm
LOL, SaraG, I'm not that learned myself. but my dh has been described as a "walking encyclopedia", and he sometimes talks too Tongue Out and I happen to overhear it. Wink

gryp

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 3:15 pm
Quote:
GR: about the monkeys, wasn't that what happened to the Dor Haflaga, (that built the Tower of Bavel) after they were dispersed? That's what I always heard.

sounds like a similar Midrash to the one I said.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Oct 31 2006, 3:19 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
if my child ever asked if dinosaurs ever existed, I would just tell them yes. why say anything else? so, it does not fit in exactly with the way that we know history, but they definintely existed. that is what my parents always told us.

How is that satisfying? Confused

amother

Post Sat, Jul 18 2009, 7:24 pm
my son asked me today about dinosaurs - he can't understand how to reconcile how he has heard/read dinosaurs lived millions of years before people were around with hashem creating the world in 6 days and so on.

there are good answers on this thread...not sure if a 7 year old would understand them.

JC

Post Sat, Jul 18 2009, 11:06 pm
amother wrote:
my son asked me today about dinosaurs - he can't understand how to reconcile how he has heard/read dinosaurs lived millions of years before people were around with hashem creating the world in 6 days and so on.

there are good answers on this thread...not sure if a 7 year old would understand them.

I explain it as seven of Hashem's days not seven earth days.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics