Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Dilema; advice needed

RedVines

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 9:33 am
I teach first grade part time, in a sparce city for judaism;meaning no one here has gone through the "system" like I have, I am an asset to the school, where other places I would be a drop in the bucket. Anyway, I was on bedrest for 3 weeks, during that time I put together lesson plans and the work etc. I just found out I will not be paid for that time, bec. I used up all my sick days (family bar mitzvah) etc. Well, DH is furious, he feels I should be paid half of the months salary for the work I did.

Anyhow, we brought this up to the board, and they want me to put together how many hours I worked...I am lucky if I can sit for 10 uninteruppted minutes...How do I f igure such a thing out w/o embellisshing?

Also I doubt I will be paid for maternity leave either...now DH says after the baby comes we should just move...we are putting off plans ONLY for the school.

Am I being unfair? the jerk?

technic

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 9:36 am
I have no good advice sorry - but u r SO in the right here - I hope u get every penny uve earned!!! Thumbs Up

red sea

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 9:44 am
Well, I would say just take an honest estimate of how much time you spent, and tell them this is your estimate since you did not keep track at the time. As far as pay goes, if you already used up your vacation and sick days, if they don't want to pay you, just because they are not generous/understanding whatever, that's your contract with them, they don't have to change the terms, just as long as they pay you for the preparing you did.

RedVines

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 9:49 am
Thanks for the fast advice...Okay, I am going to be as fair as possible, but what about maternity? I am leaving, I was planning on leaving a basic step by step curriculum outline for the month, and come back (something that is already soo hard for me to do, with a newborn) If I will not be compensated for that...should we than stop putting our life on hold...when I say that I mean- no school here for my kids, husband already has a great offer elsewhere and we could technically move in a month....OY, this stress has put me into contractions yet again...

Mommy912

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 9:54 am
Why don't you ask the board? Tell them you have other options. If they can make it work financially for you then you will stay, otherwise you will leave.
Hatzlocha!

red sea

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 10:05 am
As far as maternity leave you're suppose to file for disability, they pay you 5 out of 6 weeks of maternity leave (usa)

nicole81

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 10:15 am
not necessarily; it depends on the state. I was paid 6 weeks, but only at about 20% of my salary. the entire check for the 6 weeks was barely $100 more than one regular weeks salary.

I agree with mommy912. let them know how you feel, and if they really value you, they will make it worth your while.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 10:32 am
This will send this thread off-topic, but anybody know what the maternity leave policy is in PA? I tried looking on my company's website, but didn't see anything useful. And it's too early for me ask anybody here - I am not telling people yet. Thanks!!

LubavitchLeah

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 10:48 am
WOW, all this stress when youre IY"H about to pop:)
I think you should STOP putting your life on hold. If however you truly feel you are and still can be doing GREAT "Shlichis" in keeping many yiddishe kinderlach together and its not costing you and your kids too much, you overall feel your purpose is still here then STAY. However perhaps this is Hashems way of guiding your family to a new direction. It seems like your own family have yiddishe opportunity away from where you are, kids schools etc. Possibly your family may even need a different level, Shinui Hamakom Shinui Hamazel. Its a very personal thing. You also feel slightly used, underappreciated and are wondering if all your sacrifices are even worth all this. Possibly they have been worth it, I mean the kinderlach you teach GAIN. However maybe the ADMIN?STAFF/ Employers dont or cant renumerate you. This could be a way of pushing you into a new direction. You need a Rav's/Rebbe's?mekubal/ whatever you use..their guidance. May Hashem only BLESS YOU/ Guide you and give you Hatzlacha/ parnasa/ yiddishe nachas in everything you do xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

carrot

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 11:41 am
This is one of the problems with the way teachers are treated - they pay you per hour of teaching, when any good teacher knows that the preparing can sometimes be the bigger job!

I also once spent hours finding subs and preparing lesson plans (and then teaching the lesson plans to the subs...) for a few days that I would be missing. It was way more work than actually teaching it myself.

I think you should totally stand up for yourself. Whether that means negotiating a new contract or actually leaving. Don't accept this stress. Don't be taken advantage of.

As LubavitchLeah said it is not just the money it is the appreciation. Don't work for people who do not appreciate what you put in.

Tovah

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 12:00 pm
I don't think u should be paid for those hrs u prepared b/c that's the responsability of a teacher when ur not their u prepare the work for the sub.

as well as maternity u need a certain amount of hrs, well if u don't have them working u can tell the school how much prep time u did and let them add it to your work time. that is what I did.

I would fight for the maternity leave and drop the prepared work u did.
just my advice

cutiemom

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 12:05 pm
LubavitchLeah wrote:

I think you should STOP putting your life on hold..... You need a Rav's/Rebbe's?mekubal/ whatever you use..their guidance. May Hashem only BLESS YOU/ Guide you and give you Hatzlacha/ parnasa/ yiddishe nachas in everything you do xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree! if your husband feels that they are holding him, you, and/or the children back then be sure to mention that part to the rav and discuss it with your husband.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 12:37 pm
It’s true, that’s the nature of the job. Some jobs have overtime that isn’t paid. Now you know what to negotiate next time.

Maybe you’ll be paid….maybe you won’t. Maybe you’ll get part of what you expect.

Face facts.

Truthfully, time yourself when you do your next lesson plan. Then you have something to work from.

RedVines

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 3:52 pm
WOW! I really appreciate all the responces, Honestly, I completly can not deal with this stress right now, all I want to do is continue teaching...it bothers my husband to the hghest degree, it is about my value as a teacher NOT just money. He is going to speak to this lady who is holding everything back and tell it to her straight...we are outta here if we arent compensated for the time.

For everything that I have done for the school etc.

happymom

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 4:54 pm
if ure husband has a great job offer somewehre else, why dont u move? that sounds good to me... wouldnt it be way too hard for u to work when ure baby is only a month old anyway?

morningstar

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 5:15 pm
I guess I am part of a different generation... but here goes.

Teaching is a demanding profession that is, quite frankly, underpaid. Don't just blame your employer... many of the parents here have spoken about the burden of paying tuition for their children. The fact is that if parents don't have money to pay the schools, the schools don't have money to pay the teachers. Hence, while other professions have paid sick days, vacation days, sometimes even paid maternity leave, this is not the norm in our schools.

While I admire your choice of entering the field of chinuch, it is a field that brings with it certain ethical obligations: namely-- that once you begin a school year, the children come first.

Presumably, you knew you would be requiring maternity leave when starting the year ( or at least knew it was a serious possibility). YOu also know that when a teacher is lost mid-year, it is the children who suffer.

No one can stop you from leaving, of course. And sometimes personal reasons make it impossible to stay. But think long and hard before you decide to leave your students in the lurch mid-year. Because if you leave, it is your students ( not the board) that you are harming most.

For those of you who think mommyoftwo is not being paid enough for her work-- you are right. And I hope this helps you to appreciate that the tuition you are paying right now is probably not as high as it should be. And that the teachers of your children deserve more thanks than they are getting.

RedVines

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 7:14 pm
Thank you for your thoughts, I completly understand what you are saying. My husband pointed out that at the time when I sign my contract the school has my year pay in budget, all we asking for is half of that, for the month of a curriculum while I will be out, I am planning on coming back waaay sooner than I would ever dream of fot the sake of my new baby but I am willing to come back and finish of the year knoiwing full well a sub is unable to accomplish what I can. I dont find that unfair, I am asking for HALF!

morningstar

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 7:25 pm
What is the sub being paid?
Did they budget for paying for a sub plus half salary for the original teacher?
Or is the sub willing to work for half a salary while you earn the other half?
If this is the case, I would agree that you have a legitimate complaint and that they are taking advantage of you.

RedVines

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 7:27 pm
the subs get paid less than I do, meaning that it is justified- what I am asking for.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics