Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Teaneck, NJ - Brooklyn Couple Arrested after Leaving Child A
Previous  1  2

Mirabelle

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 2:39 pm
It's true! It does happen.

(by the way I probably should not have watched that program while pregnant because it also included stories of crazies who attemped to literally cut a baby out of a pregnant woman's stomach shock )

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 2:46 pm
DiznyIma wrote:

(by the way I probably should not have watched that program while pregnant because it also included stories of crazies who attemped to literally cut a baby out of a pregnant woman's stomach shock )

maybe they'll arrest pregnant women who fall asleep on public transport, thereby endangering their unborn baby. Or walk out late at night alone.

You know, if someone really wanted to steal my baby, me being in the car or not is absolutely no protection if they have a gun or other weapon.

JC

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 2:56 pm
Raisin wrote:
DiznyIma wrote:

maybe they'll arrest pregnant women who fall asleep on public transport, thereby endangering their unborn baby. Or walk out late at night alone.

You know, if someone really wanted to steal my baby, me being in the car or not is absolutely no protection if they have a gun or other weapon.

Most crimes are crimes of opportunity, they are not all well thought out. The criminal will take advantage of easy opportunities that are set in front of him/her.

momoswyf

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 3:05 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
Would she leave her purse on a seat in plain view? Or would he leave his Iphone on his seat??

My MIL always says about the people who leave their kids outside of shops in their strollers--they would never leave their diamonds outside--children are even more precious then diamonds.

frumamn

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 3:17 pm
bubby wrote:
Most of the comments on VIN say the parents are at best totally irresponsible. But there are always those geniuses who don't think it was so terrible & anyway, those nasty, mean anti-semitic policemen are out to get us all Rolling Eyes

They make interesting reading. ss321, take some valium before you read! This may just finish your day. Sad

Exactly! I couldn't believe how many comments felt it was okay because it just for minute or two. (which it couldn't have been if there was enough time for somne to notice, call the police and police to respond......)

JC

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 3:35 pm
frumamn wrote:
bubby wrote:
Most of the comments on VIN say the parents are at best totally irresponsible. But there are always those geniuses who don't think it was so terrible & anyway, those nasty, mean anti-semitic policemen are out to get us all Rolling Eyes

They make interesting reading. ss321, take some valium before you read! This may just finish your day. Sad

Exactly! I couldn't believe how many comments felt it was okay because it just for minute or two. (which it couldn't have been if there was enough time for somne to notice, call the police and police to respond......)

Actually that may not be the case, I left my child, he was in the car during pickup I was picking up his brother. He was not feeling well and fell alseep he was old enough to get out of his seat belt if there was an emergency, and old enough not to get worried if he woke up and saw me not there (bec it was in front of his school) I only had to walk to the front door, and was back within one minute. There were many moms walking back and forth during the time. BUT someone (not from the school) had seen me leave and called the police as I walked away, so when I got back (within 1-2 minutes with many other parents around) aside from yelling at me he said he had my license plate number and I better wait for the police which I did -what choice did I have. I explained myself to the police, he gave me the stern warning speech and that was it. So the fact that the police showed up does not mean that parents took that long to return.
BTW in my case that person was an upset neighbor of the school who was unhappy about the traffic in and parking issues because of the school, he would stand outside during pickup time and called the cops numerous times about the parking and other offenses during the 15 minutes a day of pickup.

Do not take this to mean that I think that leaving your kid in the car in a gas station is ok, but just to explain that this aspect of the story may not mean that they were away from the car for that long.

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 3:49 pm
JC wrote:
frumamn wrote:
bubby wrote:

Actually that may not be the case, I left my child, he was in the car during pickup I was picking up his brother. He was not feeling well and fell alseep he was old enough to get out of his seat belt if there was an emergency, and old enough not to get worried if he woke up and saw me not there (bec it was in front of his school) I only had to walk to the front door, and was back within one minute. There were many moms walking back and forth during the time. BUT someone (not from the school) had seen me leave and called the police as I walked away, so when I got back (within 1-2 minutes with many other parents around) aside from yelling at me he said he had my license plate number and I better wait for the police which I did -what choice did I have. I explained myself to the police, he gave me the stern warning speech and that was it. So the fact that the police showed up does not mean that parents took that long to return.
BTW in my case that person was an upset neighbor of the school who was unhappy about the traffic in and parking issues because of the school, he would stand outside during pickup time and called the cops numerous times about the parking and other offenses during the 15 minutes a day of pickup.

Do not take this to mean that I think that leaving your kid in the car in a gas station is ok, but just to explain that this aspect of the story may not mean that they were away from the car for that long.

Sounds to me like the police had this guy's number, so to speak. They simply gave you the obligatory speech all the while knowing you're not of the inclination to do that in another context. Some people, like the guy who placed the call on you, just have no common sense on when it is appropriate to make a call, and when it is not. Some people lack the ability to discern that in some settings, doing one thing (such as you did in your specific, one-time circumstance, in the carpool line, in front of the school) is not acceptable in other settings (c-store/gas stop, Walgreens, highway rest areas, etc.).

And, its because of those over-zealous, need-to-get-a-life varieties of individuals that normal, responsible parents like the lot of us have to be nearly paranoid at times when it might be appropriate, as in your case. I'm glad, for your sakes', that nothing became of it, and you weren't cited!

cm

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 4:19 pm
I am more concerned about the temperature in the car than about stranger abduction. It is possible, but unlikely, that a stranger would take a baby. It is much more likely that a baby would overheat, with potentially devastating consequences. Even in mild weather, the interior of a parked car heats up rapidly to a dangerous level. I'm not going to comment on the couple in question, but I will encourage every stressed, overtired, frazzled parent to make a system to prevent forgetting the baby in the car. I have heard of people attaching a bungee-type cord from the carseat to their own clothing. It's a good idea.

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 4:39 pm
I recall a number of news stories where babies have been left or forgotten in vehicles with tragic consequences, due to over-heating. Vehicles are like ovens.

Theoretically, a reminder method seems like a good idea, but those who can remember to employ the method aren't likely to forget their baby is with them.

Our eldest DD(8yrs.) has blossomed over the past few months, since moving to Chicago, into the "second mommy" at our house, and actually appointed herself the official car seat attendant for the baby, when we are out and about. I have mobility issues at times, and cannot lift the baby in and out, so thankfully I can hand the baby to her to put in the car seat and she hands the baby to me after I have the stroller set up, and it is a system that works for us...I guess she's my bungee cord Wink!

cm

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 4:53 pm
He*Sings*To*Me wrote:

Theoretically, a reminder method seems like a good idea, but those who can remember to employ the method aren't likely to forget their baby is with them.

I'm afraid any new parent could be tired and frazzled enough to lose track of the baby.

A fellow whose child unfortunately passed away after being left behind in the car, and whose wife subsequently had another baby, went on TV to demonstrate his bungee cord method which he used with the new baby. That is how I heard about it.

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 4:58 pm
CM, I hope you did not perceive me as being argumentative or contentious with your suggestion. I find what you mentioned totally intriguing! Idea

Since that one-time instance I mentioned above, I have remained traumatized, and that has truly been what will keep me from EVER forgetting to look again.

cm

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 5:11 pm
He*Sings*To*Me wrote:

It DOES happen accidentally with even good, conscientious parents.

It looks like you answered yourself! In my effort to be concise, I skimped on quoting your previous post, and sacrificed clarify. No argument at all.

Thank G-d your baby was fine, and I hope my comments were not insensitive - I simply hope more parents would learn about this without having to go through any traumatic events!

CM

ss321

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 7:18 pm
bubby wrote:

lol bubby.

look. peole make mistakes. just like he sings to me showed. that couldve happened to any one of us which is really scary. but the comments about it being anti semitic, I stopped reading after like #5 because I could feel my BP rising. gosh it just keeps getting better.

I call for a protest on Ocean Parkway tomorrow. I think we should all go throw rocks at cops. this is a blood libel. Sad Sad Sad

Flowerpot

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 7:35 pm
just let me know what time so I should Not get rocks in my face.

Inspired

Post Sat, Aug 01 2009, 4:30 pm
He*Sings*To*Me wrote:
I recall a number of news stories where babies have been left or forgotten in vehicles with tragic consequences, due to over-heating. Vehicles are like ovens.

Yes, it is tragic, but understandable for people to forget.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....obile

This story does not really seem to be about forgetting.

There are just some people who believe it is okay to leave their children alone in cars.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....ight=

shosh

Post Sat, Aug 01 2009, 5:25 pm
Funny, but I have a very early memory of my mum leaving me alone in a car. I was probably about four, and she said she was going to come back in a few minutes. I seem to remember that I had a little toy in my hand, and she left the window open for air. But as I played with the toy, it fell out the window onto the pavement. That was when I started to get scared. The door was locked and I remember screaming and screaming, and being absolutely terrified! This being England over thirty years ago, people walked past and some of them even stared at me. But no one said or did anything. All I wanted was my dolly back, but annoyingly enough no one even seemed to understand that or care. (Mind you, it was a tiny thing, so no one probably noticed anyway.)

I remember my mum coming back and finding me hysterical. "I don't understand why you're so scared," she said. "I was only gone a few minutes." But to me, it felt like an eternity.

I can't imagine how a child left alone sleeping in a car would feel if they woke up, and especially if they were "forgotten" and had to sit like that for even longer. I have never forgotten the ten minutes that I was alone in the car, and that was even with my mum telling me she was leaving me there ...

Ruchel

Post Sat, Aug 01 2009, 5:42 pm
Quote:
You hardly EVER see anyone with children not in car seats.

Unfortunately, in the Jewish areas, you do see kids running wild in the back of cars... not every day, but more than once a week for me.

Raisin

Post Sat, Aug 01 2009, 6:11 pm
Quote:

I think it could happen to anyone. It's happened to responsible parents of much loved and awaited for children.

sadly this happens much more often since car seats are not meant to go in the front seat any more (because of airbags).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics