Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Vegetarian shabbos guests help!!!

newu

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 3:00 pm
what do I make as a main dish for vegetarian shabbos guests?????

SingALong

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 3:08 pm
how about a pareve cholent of beans, potatoes, maybe pareve kishke? lots of spices cuz no meat= no taste

a brown rice with veggies overnight in the oven or warmed over crockpot in a pan

stir fried tofu with vegetables/rice

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 3:09 pm
I love different type of Thai curries and often make them for Shabbos - sans meat.

Eggplant curry (just eggplant, coconut milk, and rice noodles - spiced with curry, sea salt and coriander, pinch of red pepper)

Red potato and chick pea curry - with coconut milk, sauteed onions and garlic, curry, cumin, sea salt, and coriander. Serve with rice noodles or Jasmin rice

I also do this thing where I dredge extra firm tofu in flour mixed with salt and pepper, then fry it in a non stick pan and serve it with a mushroom wine sauce

I also make stir fries with seitan or tofurky sausage

My SIL is a vegetarian, so I always need to make something for her when she comes for a shabbos meal.

Seraph

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 3:11 pm
Do they eat fish?
Are you going to make milchigs for everyone, or looking for something parve to serve for the guests and give everyone else fleishig?

im my kids ima

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 3:25 pm
I just make what I make every shabbos and thay jsut dont eat the chicken or meat good luck

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 3:42 pm
How vegan are they? No honey either? Can you wear leather shoes when they come ?

cm

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 4:09 pm
I've been a vegetarian for many, many years. I usually ask a Shabbat host not to make anything special, as long as she is planning to serve the usual kugels, salads, and so on. Of course, for vegetarian guests, be sure to make these side dishes without any meat ingredients!

I also ask the host not to take it personally if I choose not to eat everything served at the table.

Thank you for being considerate of your guests' preferences.

Hope this helps!

chanahlady

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 5:00 pm
SingALong wrote:
how about a pareve cholent of beans, potatoes, maybe pareve kishke? lots of spices cuz no meat= no taste

No meat, no taste? As a vegetarian, I take offense to that! LOL

I just made a gnocchi recipe with fried mushrooms and brussels sprouts that was really good.

But if you are really worried about your veg guests, don't be. My DH and I come across this issue all the time when we're Shabbos guests. Just make a bunch of sides and salads -- they will fill up just fine. Really.

Peanut2

Post Tue, Aug 04 2009, 5:37 pm
If you have plenty of veggie side dishes they'll be fine. For example: veggie salad, mixed vegetables, broccoli quiche/kugel. If you want to be nice, also make a non-meat dish with protein, like adding tofu to the vegetables, or making something with beans.
One of the toughest thing about being vegetarian is that sometimes all there is for me to eat is starchy, so some veggies and protein are real nice.

If you want to make a main dish for the vegetarians (assuming everything is meaty), maybe stuffed peppers with tofu, rice, veggies inside? Or just a main-dish veggie stew? Check out the Moosewood restaurant's online recipe collection: http://www.moosewoodrestaurant......html
Their cookbooks are amazing and helpful for cooking lots of veggie things, and many are parve and can be used for meaty meals. They tell you how long it takes to make things, and most things don't take very long...
BEWARE - at least in the cookbooks they have recipes for fish and for some non-kosher-things. Easy to ignore, but please be aware.

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 2:07 am
My dil is vegetarian. I make my regular Shabbos meal and an extra main in a smaller amount w/o meat. This can be cooked veg, soy or tofu. Soup is parve and she eats salads and borekas while we eat salads and fish. My needs and hers meet in the day time. 3 pots - one meat, one veg and one beans, rice potatos, etc (carbs). I eat meat and veg, she eats veg and carbs and dh and the boys (incl her dh) eat all 3.

Sherri

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 2:12 am
Peanut2 wrote:

One of the toughest thing about being vegetarian is that sometimes all there is for me to eat is starchy, so some veggies and protein are real nice.

Thumbs Up
I have a friend who is a vegetarian and eats by us sometimes. Although she is very easy-going, as the other vegetarians here sound, I know she definitely appreciates the veggies and proteins besides for all the starch.

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 11:51 am
large portabella mushrooms with soy sauce, fresh garlic, sauteed in olive oil with onions ... add a bunch of something green towards the end like brocolli, sugar snap peas, or green beans ...

you could check out my rice & beans recipe ...

make a lot of side things like garden salads, pasta salad, kugels or rice ... dips ...

and definitely find out what extent of vegans they are so you don't make something special that they still can't eat cause of eggs or whatever ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals