Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Breathing difficulites

Starhavah

Post Fri, Aug 07 2009, 9:51 am
Last night DD was taken to the ER. They gave her a nebulizer treatment. AFTER the treatment her SpO2 was still 88-89 on room air, so they gave her a second and sent her for a chest x-ray. She still was low after the 2nd and they gave her O2 through a nasal cannula (by this time it was so late she had fallen asleep in the ER bed!). With the O2 they finally got her up into the mid 90's but when the removed the O2 she dropped to 90-91. Despite her having no fever, no congestion and no signs of illness, they gave her a script for Zithromax! and said it was probably a developing pneumonia. She has only had one episode like this in the past and that was 4 months ago. They said that asthma is a chronic condition so they could not say yet that it asthma. Ok all you medical Imamothers. I think that the diagnosis of pneumonia is a crock. What do you all think? Am I overreacting? Of course I want her to have the best care possible, but this does not sound like pneumonia to me. She is going for a follow up this morning with a pediatrician in the practice, hers is out of town of course.

How do I know, as a worried mom, when she needs her inhaler? She only used it for about a week in April and then never again until yesterday. What are the normals for this? Any information would be helpful. We do not think either of these episodes were allergy or exercise induced.

gryp

Post Fri, Aug 07 2009, 10:10 am
Hospitals have to do what they have to do to cover for themselves. Which means taking whatever tests they deem necessary, give some diagnosis, and a prescription.

If you think what they're telling you is crock, it very well may be. I had an incident a few months ago where I had that gut feeling that what the ER staff was telling me was an assumption rather than a diagnosis. They gave me a prescription which I filled just in case, and told us they'll call us in two days with the final test results. They called a week later! We tried to get through to them every day, several times, for the test results, and with a couple of runarounds we got our answer. Of course the test result was negative which meant my 7 month old was taking antibiotics for nothing. Rolling Eyes
Never again will I be so stupid in an ER.

I hope your daughter is okay, in any case. Two of my boys has breathing problems but it somehow mysteriously disappeared. I hope never to return again.

I would take the word of my pediatrician any day over the ER staff. They contradicted each other so many times in the 7 hours I spent in the ER, and I got a lot of baloney from the doctors and nurses there.

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 07 2009, 10:15 am
well if she can't breath she needs the nebulizer ... you usually hear a wheezing squeak while breathing in - then you know ... asthma and pneumonia are both lung illnesses - one is chronic - while the other is an infection exacerbated ... so even if your dd doesn't have pneumonia it can still be an infection in her lungs ... unless of course it's asthma ...

feel better !!!

Starhavah

Post Fri, Aug 07 2009, 10:33 am
Oh, I am not complaining about the neublizer treatment. I know she needed that. It is just that zithromax is a wide spectrum antibiotic and a very strong one. She has none of the signs of an infection (at least that I know of). I am worried about what is causing this, but I do not want to BS answers to "shut up the worried mom". I want the right answer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics