Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
What went wrong?

misteray

Post Fri, Aug 07 2009, 12:10 pm
I made my challah dough like usual... proofed the yeast... mixed with ingredients... and since I was making it on Thurs. morning- I put it in the fridge to rise. I read somewhere that a slow rise makes a better bread- and I've done it before and it has worked.
Thurs. afternoon, after work, I took it out of the fridge and let it rise on the counter... I must have punched it down 3-4 times- it was rising really well!... About 9:30pm I was ready to bake it... I took out the dough... smelled something strange... my DH likes raw dough, so I asked him to taste it and he said there is s/t wrong about it...
Just in case it would be ok and maybe get better with baking- I baked it anyway... My DH had one roll this morning for breakfast and he said that I should run to the bakery to buy Challah... Confused ... He said that it wasn't too bad, but doesn't have a good aftertaste...
I am disappointed, but dunno what could've gone wrong!

NativeMom

Post Fri, Aug 07 2009, 1:08 pm
maybe too much yeast? perhaps something was spoiled?

greenfire

Post Fri, Aug 07 2009, 1:20 pm
sounds like the yeast fermented

louche

Post Fri, Aug 07 2009, 2:22 pm
why are you punching down 3-4 times? 1 or 2 rises plus the rise after you've shaped the loaves is enough. 4 hours at room temperature in this heat? what you got was sourdough, I think. It's an acquired taste.

misteray

Post Sat, Aug 08 2009, 10:54 pm
Thanks for the opinions. I don't think anything was spoiled bec. I had just used the eggs the day before and the yeast was fine when I made challah for last week. But it could be the yeast did go bad from sitting out. I didn't realize how long it was out for. But, the thing is that it wasn't so hot in my kitchen, maybe about 70-72 degrees... Plus, my friend has had her dough sitting out for probably about 5 hours on a regular basis.
Well, what's past is past and next time I will try to be a little more careful. (with what I am still not so sure...)

greenfire

Post Sat, Aug 08 2009, 10:58 pm
I've had perfectly good dough used earlier in the day - go rancid if I forgot to put the rest in the fridge ... some things simply do that ... (but it's okay if you want to be in denial - just not for the poor dough)

youngbubby

Post Sat, Aug 08 2009, 11:21 pm
If challah dough sits to long it sours ..its not spoiled just it is not good. Also although people say they put their dough in the fridge I have not found this to work.. I put the dough up and I let it rise ...it can go probly the most 6 hours...it only gets punched down more than once if it grows over the bowel. Also one other trick if u keep your yeast in the freezer it is fresh and your challah will taste even better.

misteray

Post Sat, Aug 08 2009, 11:28 pm
youngbubby- but the dough was only sitting out for about 4 hours...? And my mother had told me about keeping the yeast in the freezer, but we keep it in the fridge cuz there is more room there. Do you think that makes a difference?
and about punching it down- what exactly is the reason for punching dough? is it bec. it gets too large for the bowl? or bec. it allows it to rise more, thus creating lighter bread? So, why would it matter to punch it down numerous times? Wouldn't that make it even lighter? (sorry for all the questions!!)

youngbubby

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 7:52 am
I dont know I just know that if u punch it sown to much or it rises to long then it will sour,,so what is to long or to much I dont know u just have to go with the flow...sorry but Ill ask my cousin who is a chef..

greenfire

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 8:39 am
if you punch it down too many times it kills the rise-ability ...

keeping yeast in the freezer is good only if you buy them by the huge pound blocks ... better to buy them fresh every week ... or use the dry yeast ...

the fluffiness is not just in the rise but in the dough mixture - use high gluten flour for breads and challahs

youngbubby

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 7:32 pm
u can buy the big packs like at cosco or sams club it is cheaper and lasts a long time in the freezer.

misteray

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 8:23 pm
Thanks greenfire for the info.
youngbubby, thanks- I buy it at BJs.

youngbubby

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 8:39 pm
what is BJs?

misteray

Post Sun, Aug 09 2009, 9:08 pm
It is the same idea as Costco and Sam's Club.

youngbubby

Post Mon, Aug 10 2009, 7:55 am
then the big bags of yeast are much cheaper and stay a long time in the freezer. Like I said I will ask my cousin who is a chef about the dough and how long it can last ect....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads