Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
WHY ILL NEVER MAKE FUN AGAIN OF "ASK A RAV"

technic

Post Sun, Mar 12 2006, 5:58 pm
Dearest Imamothers

I have been guilty of making fun of pples tendency on here 2 say "ask a rav"...NEVER AGAIN!!! (bli neder Wink )

Last friday afternoon my dh came home, having spent the previous 2 days 120 miles away w my sick mil(a"h)...he planned 2 spend shabbat w us and go back either motzei, or sun am...no sooner had he stepped in the bath than the phone rang, w sisinlaw saying nurse said he should come back strait away as they didnt know how long mil would live and she was asking 4 him...

it was waaaaay 2 close 2 shabbat 4 him 2 make the journey in time but I couldnt bear 2 think of him waiting till motzei and being chas vshalom 2 late - and then this Idea went on in my head and I heard a chorus of imamothers chanting "ASK A RAV"!!!

I was 1000% SURE no rav would let him go, and travel on shabbat, but I called mine (who is kyh amazing), explained the circumstances , and heard him say that dh should go - unable 2 believe my ears but VERY relieved, I waved dh off and bh he was able to b w his mother...

as a matter of interest, altho I assumed it was bcos of kibud av v'em, when I called the rav motzei 2 thank him, I asked on what he had based his psak - and it was actually pikuach nefesh, bcos dhs presence might increase her koach and lengthen her life...

so 2 everyone who has ever typed "ASK A RAV" - u have the eternal gratitude of my family Very Happy

Motek

Post Sun, Mar 12 2006, 6:33 pm
thank you for posting that technic Smile

and what an interesting psak and reason for it

shoshb

Post Sun, Mar 12 2006, 7:39 pm
From your post, it seems your m-i-l did pass.
Baruch Dayan Emet, I am sorry for your loss.

BinahYeteirah

Post Sun, Mar 12 2006, 7:47 pm
shoshb wrote:
Baruch Dayan Emet, I am sorry for your loss.

I will just repeat this.

Thank you for sharing.

shira

Post Sun, Mar 12 2006, 7:56 pm
A similar story:
A man from my home town is very sick with cancer. Over Sukkos they went to an out of town hospital to try a last ditch effort protocal with him. The whole family went to be with him for the chag. While there, he contracted pneumonia, lost conciousness, and basically every doctor said that it was OVER. The Dr.s told them that he was now being sustained by life support alone. Everyone- many members of the community, their friends, etc. encouraged them to just pull the plug. Why prolong his suffering? Why be so cruel to him?- they wanted to know. After consulting a rav, they were told not to pull any plugs.
Well, he woke up! Not only that but his pneumonia cleared and they were able to proceed with this protocal. He is still very sick but is supposedly doing fantastic. he's feeling and looking good!
Always k'dai to ask a Rav!!!!!!!!!
I was totally flabergasted by this story. I asked a family member if anyone was affected in a significant way by it. She responded, "Shir, why are you so amazed? It wasn't his time to go. finished." I was like, "hullo?! The ONLY reason he's around today is because of that cruel Rabbi who insisted on prolonging his suffering! Have we not learned the power of daas torah from this story?" She told me to stop being so charedi Confused
Oh well, I guess we see what we want to see.................

queen

Post Sun, Mar 12 2006, 8:50 pm
tech, I'm sorry your family is going through a hard time now.
hamokom yinachem eschem b'soch sha'ar avlay tzion v'yerushalyim.
And thank you for posting your moving series of events.
((((((((hug))))))))))

Motek

Post Sun, Mar 12 2006, 9:02 pm
shira wrote:
Have we not learned the power of daas torah from this story?"

daas Torah? it's a halacha that you can't murder people

by the way, my father's cousin had the identical story happen with her mother

her mother was on life support and she contacted a rav who told her it was forbidden to remove her

she guarded her mother who eventually left the hospital, not good as new, but very much alive and functioning

technic

Post Sun, Mar 12 2006, 11:17 pm
thank u all Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics