Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Spica cast- body cast anyone experience it?

micki

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 10:17 pm
for a 2.5 year old?
how did you make them more comfortable? carry them from place to place?

hadasa

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 3:26 pm
I had a 14-month-old in something like that (fracture in her thigh). She would spend most of day in an extra-wide baby seat. She was very heavy to carry around- it was a plaster cast, not fiberglass. Eventually, she started to crawl, by dragging herself along the floor with her arms and one leg.

I can imagine it must be even harder with a 2 yo. May Hashem give you a lot of strength and patience to help him deal with it.

Strudel

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 3:43 pm
We used to give out special seats with tables attached in the UK (where it was free!). You can see one on this link. It also give you ideas on how to keep the child entertained.http://www.hip-baby.org/entertainment.html

happyone

Post Wed, Jul 08 2009, 4:36 pm
Wow. That must be tough. Sorry I have no advice to offer.

micki

Post Fri, Jul 10 2009, 4:22 pm
yes hes heavy- he weighs 37 lbs, and then there is the cast about 15 or so.
thanks for the web site- its great.

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Jul 11 2009, 10:21 pm
My SIL just kept her dd on the bed all day and I remember, she was toilet trained 2 weeks before! So she had a nightmare because the kid refused to use a diaper, ad potty time was a disaster. SIL was pregnant... whew!

greenfire

Post Sun, Jul 12 2009, 12:04 am
the purpose of the cast is to make them immobile so that they heal properly ... rather than try to make them mobile, I should think they should stay still and given things to keep them entertained ... tapes, books, movies, coloring books ...

not easy ... good luck & refuah shelaima !!!

familyfirst

Post Sun, Jul 12 2009, 12:40 am
HI!

My son, who was then 2 2/1 years old, fell off the top of the bunk bed and broke his femur (thigh) bone, and needed a body cast.

He slept on the sofa for the few weeks that he was in the cast. Lying down in the crib was way too uncomfortable and awkward (and no, he did not fall off). We propped him up in the corner, and he felt this to be the most comfortable way. You can also prop him up on a recliner. My son did not master crawling in his cast till the very end (it really is a lot of weight to be shlepping along). They sell special car seats if your car seat won't hold him. No baths, but I learned to wash his hair while holding him face down, on his tummy, on my lap. Best to do this with someone else who can offer a second pair of hands.

This is not a fun time (especially if there is guilt involved!), but it WILL pass. BEWARE that his skin will look all dry and yucky, and the particular leg may be thinner than the other one (due to lack of muscle use). He may (or may not) need physical therapy to help him relearn some skills (like walking).

One of the worst memories is the smell. Since he couldn't be bathed, and despite my best efforts to wipe him up carefully, the smell of a dirty pamper DOES seep into the sides of the cast and is absolutely awful (towards the end).

Good luck, and consider yourself lucky that this is all he needs (it could have been worse) and that this cast exists at all.

Sichee

Post Thu, Aug 13 2009, 8:04 pm
My niece just had hip surgery and will be in a cast for a while. Does anyone have a spica cast car seat to lend?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics