Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hearing Impaired child

amother

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 7:56 pm
Anyone else with a child who has hearing impairment? Do you know if there are any support groups in the ny area?

happyone

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 8:09 pm
there is a support group in the Monsey/Monroe area. If you are in this area, let me know and I'll try to get the phone number.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 8:47 pm
my husband is hearing impaired , he was born with it, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Emee

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 9:15 pm
There is a yeshiva for the deaf in Toronto called Nefesh Dovid and the rav and Rebbetzin are both hearing impaired. The wife is involved with soem organizations in NY. I coudl ask her or give you her phoen number . She also has several HI children.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 10:07 pm
There is a Rav in Baltimore, Rabbi Mordechai Shuchatowitz (who is the Rav of the Agudah of Greenspring and is a dayan on a prominent NY Bais Din) who has 4 hearing impaired children. He has become an expert in halachic implications of this as well as is extremely knowledgeable in anything one might need to know on the subject. I'm sure his number is readily avalable (I have spelled his name correctly). If you want his number and can't find it, please PM me.

pecan

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 10:27 pm
I am hearing impaired - and got my first hearing aid at 8 years old.
It's hard.
I've always wondered if there are support groups.
There are many assistive devices that can help make life easier.
There are also so many things hearing impaired people can do. My parents always encouraged me to do things that are hard and I think that helped me develop my confidence and accomplish whatever I have done.
Feel free to ask me any questions on the forum or you can pm me.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 10:59 pm
You can join http://www.aparentspeaks.com so they can email you when there's a meeting.

Also, call Binuryni 347-453-3576 and ask to be on the list for the support group. PM me if you need more.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 11:19 pm
There is an organization called HAAZINU-run by Moshe Yaroslowitz. He is very knowledgable, and has a HI daughter who is now B"H married with children B"H. The phone number is 718-677-1300. They also have a website www.haazinu.org

pina colada

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 11:29 pm
Contact Strivright 531-1800 maybe they can direct you.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 8:39 am
Thanks for all the leads. Shaklee, that web address does not work, I tried to go there. Thanks happyone, but I do not live near there. I did contact strivright but right now I think it would be most helpful for me to speak to parents of H.I. children, although I appreciate the other offers. Pecan, I may take you up on it and pm you.

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 10:15 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for all the leads. Shaklee, that web address does not work, I tried to go there. Thanks happyone, but I do not live near there. I did contact strivright but right now I think it would be most helpful for me to speak to parents of H.I. children, although I appreciate the other offers. Pecan, I may take you up on it and pm you.

Sorry, it's .org http://www.aparentspeaks.org - binuryni's job is to connect you with parents, an invaluable resource. Hatzlacha.

bella

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 11:37 am
You can also try checking out the OU's program, "Our Way" which has programming and resources for Deaf and Hard of Hearing people.

http://www.njcd.org/index.php/.....1142/

If the link doesn't work you can go to www.ou.org and click on the top bar for YACHAD, which will lead to the Our Way info.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics