Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
ISO Warm Quinoa Recipe?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 11:32 am
I've only made quinoa once, and while I really liked it, dh asked if I could try a "warm" recipe next time. (Last time it was a cold salad with mandarin oranges - delicious!) I'd like to make it for a side dish this Shabbos. Any ideas?

Also, just out of curiosity, a few questions about quinoa:
1. Do I have to rinse it first? If so, how? Last time I used a coffee filter, but it was a mess...
2. Does a little bit of quinoa make a lot? How much sould I make as a side for three Shabbos meals, plus maybe a bit leftover (only the two of us this Shabbos, and we don't eat too much of the sides each time). I seem to remember the last batch making a TON.
3. Quinoa isn't cheap, is it? For some reason I thought it was, but the bag I bought was relatively expensive - 5 or 6 dollars for a small bag. Is that normal? Maybe it's supposed to last for several meals? Or to be used as a main dish? Otherwise, that definitely does NOT seem cheap to me.

TIA!

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 11:34 am
Oh, and one more thing. Will the quinoa rewarm on an electric plata easily, without drying out? Especially because it needs to be a dry recipe if I want to be able to rewarm it Shabbos day...

Hm.

scb88

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 12:48 pm
You can sautee onion, garlic, mushrooms, celery etc, and spice it with some consoumme. Yum!

I let my quinoa soak for like 20 mins, and then discard water. I refill and discard 4-5 times, until water is clear. I just use my hand to prevent the quinoa from falling out of the cup with the water. No big shtick.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 1:07 pm
scb88 wrote:
You can sautee onion, garlic, mushrooms, celery etc, and spice it with some consoumme. Yum!

I let my quinoa soak for like 20 mins, and then discard water. I refill and discard 4-5 times, until water is clear. I just use my hand to prevent the quinoa from falling out of the cup with the water. No big shtick.

Hm, thanks scb. Any tips on amounts? I really need amounts in new recipes - otherwise they come out horribly! (If anyone else has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated too!)

Wait, does that mean it's soaking for an hour altogether? Or soak for 20 minutes, then rinse 4-5 times?

elmos

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 1:33 pm
I do noy know if you will consider this a side or a main but it was good first time I really liked how quinoa came out. I left out the corn cause dh doesn't like but this makes alot and the whole family includng my folks liked it. LOL Very Happy
Easy Vegetarian Chili
1 tbsp olive or canola oil
2 onions, chopped
2 green and/or red peppers, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 cups cooked or canned red kidney beans
2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas
½ cup bulgur or couscous, rinsed (or 1 cup quinoa, rinsed)
28 oz can tomatoes (or 6 fresh tomatoes, chopped)
1 cup bottled salsa (mild or medium)
½ cup water
1 tsp salt
1tbsp chili powder
1 tsp dried basil
½ EACH pepper, oregano, cumin
¼ tsp cayenne
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp sugar
1 cup corn niblets, optional
Conventional method: Heat oil in large pot. Saute onions, peppers, and garlic for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté 4 or 5 minutes more. Add remaining ingredients except corn. Bring to boil and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in corn

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 1:38 pm
I've been meaning to try this (but maybe with olive oil instead of butter.)
I've made the KBD Thai salad and it was delicious. This one is a warm dish.
I rinse the quinoa a couple of times in a sieve, and cook the quinoa according to the package directions.
Quinoa with corn, scallions, and mint
-2 cups of canned corn
-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
-1/2 sticks (1/4 cup) butter, melted
-1 tablespoon honey
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon black pepper
-2 cups quinoa (about 10 oz)
-4 scallions, chopped
-1/2 cup chopped fresh mint

Whisk together lemon juice, butter, honey, salt and pepper in a large bowl until combined.
Wash quinoa in 3 changes of cold water in a bowl, draining in a large sieve each time. Cook quinoa in a 4- to 5-quart pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, until almost tender, about 10 minutes. Drain in sieve, then set sieve over same pot with 1 inch of simmering water. Cover quinoa with a folded kitchen towel, then cover sieve with a lid and steam until quinoa is tender, fluffy, and dry, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
Add quinoa to dressing and toss until dressing is absorbed, then stir in corn, scallions, mint, and salt and pepper to taste.

scb88

Post Wed, Aug 19 2009, 1:56 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
scb88 wrote:

Hm, thanks scb. Any tips on amounts? I really need amounts in new recipes - otherwise they come out horribly! (If anyone else has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated too!)

Wait, does that mean it's soaking for an hour altogether? Or soak for 20 minutes, then rinse 4-5 times?

Hmm, I think probably 1 onion, 2 cloves garlic, 2-3 mushrooms, 2 sticks celery, however much quinoa serves 4 (look on your package)...
And sorry for the confusion - yes, soak for twenty mins, and then just rinse.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 12:31 pm
scb - okay, I might try this. So just saute the veges, add some consume (any idea how much?), follow the directions on the package to make the quinoa, and then mix the two together? And then I can rewarm it for all the meals?

Elmos - Thanks for the chili idea! I probably wouldn't make it for Shabbos, but if dh goes for this side dish, I might use the rest for that!

scb88

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 12:39 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
scb - okay, I might try this. So just saute the veges, add some consume (any idea how much?), follow the directions on the package to make the quinoa, and then mix the two together? And then I can rewarm it for all the meals?
!

You could do it all in one pot. Make the quinoa in the pot with the sauteed veggies. And put in consoumme to taste - whatever tastes good to you!

Seraph

Post Thu, Aug 20 2009, 1:03 pm
you need to rinse quinoa. If not, it will give you a stomach ache... I didnt rinse it for a while bec I said it didnt affect the taste, then wondered why my stomach always hurt after eating quinoa.

Rinse quinoa. (I use a strainer with really tiny holes.)

Cut up an onion. Saute. Dice a zucchini or two. Saute with the onion. Add 1 tsp salt, and a dash of pepper. Add 2 cups quinoa. Add 2 cups boiling water. Bring to a boil. Lower to simmer until all water is absorbed.

Simple and delicious.

Mini Cookie

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 11:04 pm
Dr. Susan Schulman's new book she discusses quinoa recipes & ideas
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes