Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My son is tooo attached!

amother

Post Sun, Aug 30 2009, 7:34 pm
My 11 month old son is attached to me all day and night. He refuses to take bottles or drink anything. He only wants to nurse. If I leave the room he flips out and screams hysterically. He refuses to go into his crib even if im in the room. I dont know what to do.. How can you train a child who wont be trained. I tried the cio method and he cried for 3 hrs straight finally fell asleep and 20 minutes later he was up screaming again.... any ideas?

twerpz

Post Sun, Aug 30 2009, 7:51 pm
If you live in NY you can have a feeding therapist evaluate him through EI to see whether he has sensory issues or difficulties handling food that are preventing him from accepting bottle feedings or eating solids.

chasidisteh

Post Sun, Aug 30 2009, 8:48 pm
he doesnt have a problem eating food. He eats everything. HE drinks everything but will not take a fromula or milk.

Shalshelet

Post Sun, Aug 30 2009, 8:52 pm
I thought you aren't supposed to give cows milk to a baby under 1 year.

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Aug 30 2009, 8:56 pm
Can you blame him? Breastmilk tastes much better than milk and formula.

happymom

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 7:11 am
both my kids didnt drink or eat anything besides breast milk until 13 months. they were not insterested. he is not ready. at that age they cry to let you know that tehy need something, are unhappy about soemthing... maybe he just wants to know that he can nurse when he wants and not feel pressured into other things he isnt interested in... each kid is different and some kids need extra hugs and time with mommy when being put to bed or for a nap. and want to nurse more.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 9:20 am
Pickle Lady wrote:
Breastmilk tastes much better than milk .

Maybe to a baby!

BinahYeteirah

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 9:31 am
This is a peak age for separation anxiety. Crying when Mommy leaves the room is very normal behavior, but it will probably become less intense in a few months or so.

My kids never took a bottle, either. At least it sounds like he will drink liquids other than milk from a cup or bottle. That's a big plus; for the most part, my kids weren't very interested in even that at 11 months.

Maybe you could try some of the suggestions in the book The No Cry Sleep Solution for help with getting him to sleep and with creating positive association with the crib and bedtime.

Hatzlacha!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 11:03 am
My DD is 17 months old and until recently, breastmilk is the only thing she ever drank. We tried but she simply wasn't interested. Only in the last month or so did she start to drink other beverages in little bits, from a cup (she is not interested in sippy cups or bottles of any sort).

I find that these phases are short if you give them what they need - a week or so where they need you around and then it passes. The Ferber method has worked for me to some degree.

Hatzlacha!

This too shall pass!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 11:07 am
Thanks for all the respones! I decided to think of it as a blessing instead of a curse.. I mean how long does your child want you to hold him before he starts to squirm out of your hands.. instead of complaining that Im nursing to much.. I decided to think about how long ina childs life can you give them complete nourishment.. Thanks for all the chizuk!

ohbaby!

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 5:53 pm
I have a similar problem. My almost 9 month old is very very clingy to me! she wont go to anyone else! she hangs on me like a koala bear!
She doesnt take a pacifier so I am basically her pacifier... she wakes up every 3-4 hour in middle of the night and wants to munch on me. If I let go, she grabs it again.. and sucks and sucks. Im so bruised already! my nipples kill! when she nurses I w=fill like its being shreded by her little teeth. What to do?
I dont want to stop nursing yet. She sleeps in our room, and by me just steping into the room as quite as can be, she wakes up already!
ideas are welcome!!!! I dislike being a pacifier Wink
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics