Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
New Pesach Cookbook - The Balabuste's Pesach Companion
1  2  Next

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 19 2006, 1:48 pm
I think that's the name, anyway, it looks GOOD!

chavamom

Post Sun, Mar 19 2006, 2:02 pm
I saw an ad for it in HaModia. Have you seen it? I was wondering if the recipes are for portions of like 144 like the regular Balabuste cookbook (I think I'm thinking of the same one - the one from the ladies from Nitra?). B'H, we have lots of guests, but not THAT many.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 19 2006, 2:14 pm
No, it's a normal cookbook, with servings for a family.

It has pictures and looks specially good for those who don't use processed food.

Tovah

Post Sun, Mar 19 2006, 3:01 pm
it only if you eat potatoe starch and oil, I was gonna buy it but when I saw the recipees I relized I couldn't make anything.

ny21

Post Tue, Mar 21 2006, 3:32 pm
yael should make a cook book ! with all the delicious recipes from imamother.com and sell it online. Surprised LOL

rainbow baby

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 7:13 am
That's the problem with being Lubavitch you cannot use anything besides for meat, chicken, potatoes, fruit, veg fish and eggs. By the time Pesach is over everyone is fed up. I seem to put cheap wine in everything to try and give the food flavour, also lemon juice. I am so used to using different spices and herbs during the year that the food just does not seem to be right.
My other problem is that my Husband grew up in a house that used loads of proceded foods and he is used to matzah brie, cocunut pyramids, lemon curd, etc... so he really gets fed, but I do try and sometimes you do take it a bit personnaly when you spend hours trying to make food look good and taste good and he turns his nose up at it. Crying
Well never mind he will have to get used to it I guess. Very Happy

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 8:56 am
There's an online cookbook of 100 recipes or pages, I forget,from Nshei Chabad of London that can be downloaded. (Sorry I don't have the link, maybe I'll try to find it and edit it in.) and of course the purple Spice and Spirit Kosher for Passover Cookbook. The recipes are minhag Chabad. Especially the London one has no processed foods incl. potato starch AFAIK.

I don't know when anyone has a chance to patchke with all the fancy recipes anyway. I can't get beyond the basics. We are all happy with the chicken in sweet potato, carrot , onion, orange sauce, chicken soup with egg "lukshen", potato kugel and we eat our gefilte fish with or just plain cucumbers, or salad flavored with avocado, it works like oil. applesauce, and cut up fruit for dessert. And matza of course Very Happy

the rest of the time we are squeezing lemons and oranges.

gryp

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 10:11 am
SY- im on a campaign to convince family that avocado is perfectly ok for pesach. I'm glad to hear you eat it Very Happy

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 10:17 am
GR, don't be so set on your campaign, if people only want to eat what they had in Europe, then avoacado is out, along with pineapple and a host of other things.

I have that downloaded cookbook and like a few of their recipes!

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 11:20 am
it's true SaraG, my BIL won't use cucumbers, zuchinni, canteloupe. Maybe because it has seeds? Pumpkin, butternut squash seeds can perhaps be considered kitniyos? However, I don't know of any use for canteloupe, zuch. or cucumber seeds?

We never used tomatoes till recently, but we cut off all the peel and then some LOL , I wouldn't blanch them, because if anything's wrong with the peel, putting it in hot water would really "cook" it in, no?

does anyone know the story with Romaine lettuce? Is it OK to use after the Seder for salad? (for those who use only things that you peel) I thought, if you use it at the Seder, why not the rest of Pesach, but then again, I hear that many do not. My parents never did, but I never thought into it. They also didn't use tomato, when I was growing up. could be that my father learned his (Chabad)Pesach minhagim from certain eltere Chassidim. My grandparents were not Lubavitch (originally Wink ).

My in-laws didn't either use all the salad stuff- tomato, cucmber, lettuce.

gryp

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 11:28 am
Quote:
GR, don't be so set on your campaign, if people only want to eat what they had in Europe, then avoacado is out, along with pineapple and a host of other things.

I know, tell me about it.

Quote:
does anyone know the story with Romaine lettuce? Is it OK to use after the Seder for salad? (for those who use only things that you peel) I thought, if you use it at the Seder, why not the rest of Pesach,

exact debate as us, maybe you want to talk to my family? LOL

hisorerus

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 11:36 am
BTW, the downloadable cookbook is on Shmais, http://www.shmais.com/cookbook.cfm

Tovah

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 11:48 am
we use the romain lettuce after the seder but only the one from israel, with all the sand thats really expensive.

as for avocado's we eat them why would you eat them?

hisorerus

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 11:50 am
Is that romaine lettuce (Katif) available this year?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 11:55 am
SY, you have to use your "klipah" pot for the tomatoes - put them in hot water, the the skin slips right off, in one piece!

As far as the lettuce, you're allowed to have that the days of the seder - I asked the rov.

Acording to him, you can't have:

Horseradish, raw or cooked - and lots of people mistakenly put it in their fish recipe

Walnuts - but you can have other kosher for passover nuts

Apples - not raw and not cooked either

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 12:03 pm
We use the leftover romaine lettuce from the seder for salads.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 12:38 pm
SaraG wrote:
SY, you have to use your "klipah" pot for the tomatoes - put them in hot water, the the skin slips right off, in one piece!

As far as the lettuce, you're allowed to have that the days of the seder - I asked the rov.

SaraG, about blanching the tomatoes in a special pot, (like we have for eggs) I get that, but I don't understand it, because if there is any substance e.g. kitniyos wax on the peel, wouldn't the hot water "cook" it in?

And about the lettuce that is interesting. But I was talking about after the Sedarim, but then again Erev Pesach would be the same idea.

and Defy , thanks, yes that was what I was talking about. It seems that some do and some don't. I'm trying to understand the logic of that, maybe as someone mentioned that because eating the Marror by the Seder is a mitzvah, therefore there is a special protection for that, which is not the case for the rest of Pesach.

Did you know that there are even people that only eat matzah for the Sedarim, and then don't the rest of Pesach. Surprised because the biggest chshash of chometz could be in the matzah . After-all, it's made from wheat and water and if anything went slightly wrong during the baking....shock

So Pesach is a time for going overboard with chumras. LOL Although we should never laugh at someone for their chumras, on Pesach we are enjoined specifically not to. All these scrupulous hiddurim are accomplishing tremendous things in all the spiritual worlds.

It is said in the name of the ARI haKadosh that whoever is scrupulous in avoiding a mashehu (infinitesimal amount) of chometz on Pesach will not sin the entire year!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 1:12 pm
SY, can you make sure you get unwaxed tomatoes?

lucky

Post Wed, Mar 22 2006, 2:17 pm
SaraG wrote:
if people only want to eat what they had in Europe, then avoacado is out, along with pineapple and a host of other things.

I never knew you may eat pineapple on Pesach till I got married. LOL

ILOVELIFE

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 8:00 pm
I have a real problem. My dh is much more lenient on things that I grew up not touching pesach (like lettuce other than seder) I am so used to doing things that way and he just doesn't get why I'm so obsessed wiht these things but I guess it's a matter of habit......
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics