Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Something for roast chicken

sarahd

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 4:00 pm
What's a good side dish for a whole roast chicken, which is what I'm planning for company dinner tomorrow night? I'm suffering complete mental block and can't think of a thing. Please give an approximate recipe for your answer...

Fabulous

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 4:06 pm
roasted veggies like pepper,mushrooms, sweet potatoes, eggplant etc.. just coat with olive oil and spices and broil on a cookie sheet.

mashed potatoes (fancy if you want piped out in a flower shape or something)

cole slaw or cucumber salad.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 4:22 pm
stuff the roaster with cut up potatoes with seasonings on them....and roast with the chicken.

Raisin

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 4:25 pm
roast potatoes. Cut up potatoes, boil for a few minutes, heat some olive oil in a roasting dish, empty water from potato pot and put the lid on and shake around so they are a bit fluffy. then put into roasting dish and roast on (I think) 400 till brown and crispy, basting a few times.

this is really good if done properly.

solo

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 4:28 pm
I think putting potatoes in with the chicken sounds like a good idea.
or u can do a mash of potatoes and parsnip. yummy.
I think u need a starchy vegetable with roast chicken, and make a big bowl of lettuce and vinaigrette

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 4:36 pm
you can just use potatoes, or other root vegetables, carrots, and garlic too!

when I'm lazy though...potatoes it is!

sarahd

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 2:20 am
Raisin, your idea is what I would actually love to make. HOWEVER, my MIL (who is the company tonight) makes the world's best Bratkartoffeln (that's what they're called here) and mine will never be as good as hers.

I think I'll go for mashed potatoes with fried onions.

I'd love a big lettuce salad, but I think the lettuce here is still bug-infested. I think I'll go for creamed broccoli.

Now my next problem: I was going to serve potato-filled cigars for appetizer. Can't do that anymore, can I?

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 3:05 am
I usually serve rice pilov or couscous with roasted chicken. These grains "mop up" juice from roast chicken beautifully. Or even plain cooked egg noodles. That way you can still have potato cigarim.

As for veggie side dish, roasted pepper salad, simple israeli salad with cuke/tomato/salad onion.

Also I love stuffing roasted chicken with LOTS of UNPEELED garlic cloves. They get roasted together, turn brownish, creamy soft and mild flavour. You can spread them on chicken or on bread.

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 3:22 am
you can fill the cigars with chopped meat or chicken, or mushrooms or spinach. (maybe do triangles for mushrooms)

sarahd

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 8:12 am
The cigars are not homemade. I bought them in Israel and they're sitting in my freezer. And will continue to sit meanwhile, because I made curried corn soup instead.

I think next time I'll try rice plov instead of the potatoes.

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 8:34 am
I would make baby red potatoes with rosemary, garlic cloves & olive oil ...

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 8:40 am
I plan on making for Shabbat chicken cooked on rice - I add a couple cups of water to the pan, season the rice a little, put the chicken on top, season that, seal it with foil and cook. Comes out yummy.

In a separate pan, I place fresh mushrooms, chunks of onions, garlic cloves, zucchini, carrots, cauliflower and even a tomato, season with some black pepper, salt and garlic powder, drizzle with oil, toss, cover with foil and bake until the veggies are mostly cooked but aren't mushy.

str82thepoint

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 8:45 am
How about baked mustard potatoes.

Cube up about 10 potatoes. You mix mustard (1/4 cup), mayo(6 tablespoons), and steak seasoning/lawry salt. Coat the potatoes with it and pour into a pan coated with some oil on the bottom. Bake on 380 for 2 hours. Mix it every 1/2 hour or so to enure that the potatoes bake evenly.

Or

Buy a bag of stir fry veggies and a can of mushrroms. Cut up a green pepper and add to the mixture.

Then mix equal parts ketchup and honey, 3 tablesppons vinegar and some onion soup mix. Pour over the veggies, put in the oven at 350 for 45 min. Yum!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes