Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
ISO rosh hashana recipes

dGirl

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 8:33 am
anyone have any traditional rosh hashana recipes? preferably iraqi?

thanks!

sunny90

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 8:52 am
I am iraqi by birth and we have a lot of foods but not specifically for rosh hashana AFAIK. But Except this: The Ben Ish Chai said that for the apples in honey siman, you're supposed to have apples cooked in sugar.
So my mother (and grandmother used to) makes this apple jam sort of thing. It takes a bit of time to write out but it's really easy, so if you want me to type it out I will.

dGirl

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 10:45 am
sunny90 wrote:
I am iraqi by birth and we have a lot of foods but not specifically for rosh hashana AFAIK. But Except this: The Ben Ish Chai said that for the apples in honey siman, you're supposed to have apples cooked in sugar.
So my mother (and grandmother used to) makes this apple jam sort of thing. It takes a bit of time to write out but it's really easy, so if you want me to type it out I will.

yes please! I'm iraqi only by marriage and would really like to learn some recipes. please post as well if you have any other recipes or resources on where to find some Smile

sunny90

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 10:54 am
ha...I'm now moroccan by marriage. good for you for wanting to learn things!
my mother has loads of recipes from my grandmother a"h (my mom was actually ashkenazi by birth but she considers herself now completely iraqi) but we don't live in the same country! when we go home for succos I'll type them up iy"H and post/PM them! where do you live?

K, apple jam:
(the quantities are how much my mom makes, but as you'll see you can fix them to suit however much you want)
6 cooking apples
1 cup sugar per apple
1 tbsp preferably fresh lemon juice
Water

Scrub the apples and don't peel, core and cut into about 8 slices per apple.
Put it in a pot and just cover them with water. bring them to a boil and simmer for 1-1.5 hrs.
Remove the pieces with a slotted spoon--leave as much liquid in the pot as possible.
Add the sugar (1 cup per apple), bring it to a boil and simmer it for about 1/2 hr or until its a LITTLE syrupy and thick. It will still be liquidy though!
Add 1 tbsp lemon juice, mix and add the apples back in and simmer for 1/2 hr.
Shut off the fire, let it cool and put it in jars to keep in the fridge. This can last for ages!
If you want, sprinkle a bit of ground cardamom in it. We sprinkle some on when we serve it as well. It will thicken when its chilled.
Its basically soft apples in a syrup and its delicious with whatever you'd normally eat with jam! Enjoy!

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 8:35 pm
Sunny90, I know that apple preserve! Isn't that the one you'll put a bit of rose water in the end? Mine comes out always mushy like apple sauce instead of actual pieces staying without disintegrating.

As for other Iraqi foods, stuffed vegetables (pumpkin, beetroots are the standard for RH but I'm doing courgettes), and fish baked with tehina or sweet and sour fish comes to my mind. Needless to say Iraqi rice with crusty bottom pleeeease! Since RH is shabbat you can also do tebeet.

dGirl

Post Fri, Sep 18 2009, 2:46 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Sunny90, I know that apple preserve! Isn't that the one you'll put a bit of rose water in the end? Mine comes out always mushy like apple sauce instead of actual pieces staying without disintegrating.

As for other Iraqi foods, stuffed vegetables (pumpkin, beetroots are the standard for RH but I'm doing courgettes), and fish baked with tehina or sweet and sour fish comes to my mind. Needless to say Iraqi rice with crusty bottom pleeeease! Since RH is shabbat you can also do tebeet.

how would you make the fish?

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Sep 18 2009, 5:07 am
fish with tehina sauce: 1) you'll need fillets of firm white fish, like cods, snappers or haddock. Wash and pat dry well, lay single-layer in an ovenproof casserole. Sprinkle salt and pepper. 2) For sauce, you mix finely chopped garlic, finely chopped parsley, seasoned tehini. For tehini I use the Israeli brand ones like Ahuva(sp?) you keep at room temperature that comes in a plastic jar (vs pre-fixed ones you find in a chilled counter). You'll need to add water a bit by bit (it thickens a lot initially but eventually becomes spreadable consistency). 3) Smother the fish with tehina sauce, sprinkle paprika on the top, then bake in a preheated oven till fish is cooked (poke with a fork to see if it's flakey) and the sauce is bubbly and thickend. (Can take about 20-30min in a 180C oven depending on thickness of the fish). Can be served hot or at room temperature.

sweet and sour fish (salouna): Prepare the fish the same way as 1. above. (Do not use foil pan for this recipe as the sauce contains lemon.) For sauce, fry 1 large chopped onion and 1 rib chopped celery or green pepper in about 2tbsp oil till transparent but not browned. Add 3 large or 5-6 medium chopped fresh tomatoes, 2tbsp brown sugar, juice from 1 lemon, a bit of cinnamon or allspice, salt and pepper to taste. Cook over low heat for 15min till tomato disintegrate and cooks into sauce like consistency. Pour over fish and bake in the oven as above. Can be served hot or at room temperature. I know many people add raisins or chopped apricots or date syrup in the sauce. The authentic recipe is much sweeter (that's why it's called confiture de poisson) but I like it less sweet. Looks pretty garnished with some parsley or corriander though this is not in the original recipe.

sunny90

Post Fri, Sep 18 2009, 5:14 am
I don't know about rosewater--but my family aren't big fans of it so thats how we always had it!
Salona is obviously a classic...but as for tbeet we use baharat spices which can only be found in israel! I haven't made it ever because it's always just too much for me and dh! what spices do you use?
and there's also the kubot of course...all the different kinds! I told my mom she has to teach me all the recipes when we go home for succos!

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Sep 18 2009, 5:50 am
tebeet--I got spice mix from Paris (which is actually meant as seasoning for keufta but has rose and pretty much the same spices). To be honest I don't make it much as DH is a veggie. I'm more into parve hamim.

kubbe--YUM!

Not really for RH, but I got constant craving for sabich. DH really wanted to have hilbeh ("It's shabbat after all, how can you NOT have hilbeh") but I'm not really sure about serving sour and bitter food.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics