Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Surviving yom kippur

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Sep 22 2004, 11:11 am
Any tips from veteran moms on how to survive yom kippur with a little one- last year I was at my moms house and there was a maid (in south africa) who could look after the baby if I was really out of it.....there is no maids in canada, and I am not the greatest faster..... I could go to my mother in law but there are so many little ones running around , my head is gonna hurt threefold.....

proudmom

Post Wed, Sep 22 2004, 11:46 am
I have 3 little ones and I wont know what to do either

proudmom

Post Wed, Sep 22 2004, 11:48 am
I was thinking do you have any sister in laws that are not fasting if you do ask them to watch SZ for you

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Sep 22 2004, 11:53 am
both my sis in laws are fasting - the younger one just turned 12, maybe I will make a rotation one sis in law for one hr nad the other for another hour and maybe my bro in laws will also help, but I know my mom in law will need them with her little ones--- but I dont envy you - I wish I could help you out but I am stuck us you are...

BelovedBird

Post Thu, Sep 23 2004, 3:05 am
I have no tips. I fast HORRIBLY. I let my kids run wild and dh checks on them on breaks from shul (HE doesn't fast) Lots of pekalach and I expect the house to be TRASHED in the end.

Sorry that was no help.

curlyhead

Post Thu, Sep 23 2004, 4:55 am
one of my sisters offered to help me out.
B"h my son walks and shul is only 5 min away so I'll take him there in the morn and hopefully nap when he does.
I was thinking of joining up with a friend and taking turn babysitting each other kids. so we could sleep or go to shul. But you could only do this if your kids walk.
Or maybe buy a new toythat will keep him bizy

micki

Post Thu, Sep 23 2004, 5:34 am
belovedbird- I'm with you. I fast horribly especially when I am nursing or preggie.
so I prepare snacks and this year will be tough cause hubby will be going away to daven. the house will be trashed and so will I - I just hope to get through in one peice.
but ou know I remember one year when my friend and I were both preggnant and she came over and slept at our house for yom kippur. we took turns sleeping, and the kids played with each other. it was actually a good fast then. maybe that there was another adult in the house to keep company.

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Sep 23 2004, 7:28 am
My Aunt is a shlucha at a chabad house and I am going there. We will be sleeping in the chabad house with my family. Hopefully my cousins will help watch my younger son. I also have a cousin around the same age as my older son, so maybe thats a good thing. If I didn't go there, my husband offered to pay my non-jewish cleaning help that also babysits for me to come yom kippur. Have an easy fast. Another good thing about going to my aunt is that my husband will be in the same building davening. Also I will be able to say Yizkor.

RachelSteph

Post Fri, Sep 24 2004, 10:25 am
Every year around the holidays my shul gets babysitters and they open up one room for the all the kids to go and play. They have toys for all ages, it's great. Last year I was afraid to leave Gabriel there but this year for Rosh Hashana I had no choice he was sooooo bored staying with my husband and father in-Law. but it was grear they had a whole program laid out for all of the kids. they took them to hear the shofar (I didn't have to run and get him) They fed the kids (I brought food but didn't need it), and they had the Chazen who is also a Rabbi do some Davening with the kids (his wife helped along with some of the other parents that didn''t want to leave their kids alone). Anyhow I'll do the same this time. be well and have an easy fast.

zuncompany

Post Fri, Sep 24 2004, 10:36 am
Zu can not make it all the way to shul ( he is sick anyway) and we have no family here (my sister does live here now, but she is home for the funeral and is staying through the holiday). I am just going to tough it out. Zu can take over the house for all I care honestly. I will nap when he naps (Tev B"H is pretty good about letting me) and when my husband has his break, he can help me out a bit. My husband did offer to give him lunch (he eats late so hubby could give it during his break) or breakfast and I can give the other meal. Worst comes to worst if I am having a really hard time I will ask my neighbor to come over and help me.
sara
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur