Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Break-fast food that's pas yisroel

pobody's nerfect

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 12:28 pm
so DH informed me last night that we're makpid on pas yisroel during the aseres yemai teshuva. problem is, we live out of town and there is no jewish bakery here. so no bread, bagels, crackers, or mezonos cereals. we can have pasta, but a whole week of that can make me nuts. so what should I make to break our fast on tonight? was thinking split pea soup. but it needs more to make it a meal.... was thinking I could bake bread. any other suggestions though? (fish is out, too, cuz we don't have any in the freezer and I'm not going out to BJ's just for that).

bnm

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 12:29 pm
farina or oatmeal

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 12:40 pm
pasta, potatoes, all sorts of grains - kasha, rice etc. roasted root veggies. tortilla wraps are pretty easy to make from scratch. (come to think of it, corn ones don't have a pas yisrael issue)

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 12:45 pm
Make your own pizza or calzones. Easier than making your own bread, and a bit more exciting too.

Atali

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 12:47 pm
Most cereal, even if mezonos, is not baked and does not need to be pas yisrael.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 12:51 pm
ask your rov how strict you have to be, when you can't get anything.

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 12:52 pm
bake some corn muffins ... scramble some eggs ... have some oj and coffee ... all set for break fast ...

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 12:52 pm
oh and can I get 3 advil

pobody's nerfect

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 1:10 pm
thanks for all the ideas! I forgot to add that DH is mucho picky. I mean mucho.

farina or oatmeal - not in a million years
pasta - will be doing for lunch the next few days
potatoes - more of a side dish, I think, except for stuffed. which will be for lunch one day this week.
kasha & rice - won't eat kasha, will eat rice
tortilla wraps - not much to put in them, as he won't eat any veggies or ground beef, so chicken by itself is about all I can do
pizza- we had last night. and will be having many times over, I'm sure!!
calzones- I do make, but the whole veggie aversion thing makes it tough. he likes broccoli & spinach but bodek is SOOOO expensive here and I don't have the patience right now to check fresh
eggs- not in a kazillion trillion gajillion years.

atali- Many poskim hold that pure mezonos cereals [whose raw batter rises like bread dough], e.g., Cheerios, Grape Nuts, Wheat Chex, are also required to be pas Yisrael. and DH only eats cheerios, honeycomb, and corn pops. so he'll be having corn pops for supper all week!

chocolate moose- we obviously have no chiyuv to be machmir now. but DH wants to do it, and I'm ok with it. it's him who is picky! if I was cooking for myself I'd be fine. and I may end up just eating what I want and making DH fend for himself!!

Atali

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 1:13 pm
pobody's nerfect wrote:
thanks for all the ideas! I forgot to add that DH is mucho picky. I mean mucho.

farina or oatmeal - not in a million years
pasta - will be doing for lunch the next few days
potatoes - more of a side dish, I think, except for stuffed. which will be for lunch one day this week.
kasha & rice - won't eat kasha, will eat rice
tortilla wraps - not much to put in them, as he won't eat any veggies or ground beef, so chicken by itself is about all I can do
pizza- we had last night. and will be having many times over, I'm sure!!
calzones- I do make, but the whole veggie aversion thing makes it tough. he likes broccoli & spinach but bodek is SOOOO expensive here and I don't have the patience right now to check fresh
eggs- not in a kazillion trillion gajillion years.

atali- Many poskim hold that pure mezonos cereals [whose raw batter rises like bread dough], e.g., Cheerios, Grape Nuts, Wheat Chex, are also required to be pas Yisrael. and DH only eats cheerios, honeycomb, and corn pops. so he'll be having corn pops for supper all week!

chocolate moose- we obviously have no chiyuv to be machmir now. but DH wants to do it, and I'm ok with it. it's him who is picky! if I was cooking for myself I'd be fine. and I may end up just eating what I want and making DH fend for himself!!

If you say so. Even the heimishe brand ones do not say "pas yisroel" but "bishul yisroel" since cereal does not need to be pas yisrael.

pobody's nerfect

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 1:16 pm
atali, here's one source-

http://www.torah.org/advanced/......html

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 1:23 pm
I've heard the same ...

atali I'm rather surprised you would paskin for others ...

bnm

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 1:25 pm
I would splurge on the bodek vegies and make enough calzones to freeze for the future.

Atali

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 1:25 pm
pobody's nerfect wrote:
atali, here's one source-

http://www.torah.org/advanced/......html

Okay, fine.

risa

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 3:41 pm
for future reference: do some research as to what "pas yisrael" means, you'd be quite surprised to find lots of avialable stuff in your local supermarket. if you have traderjoes, lots of their breads are pas yisrael, corn tortillas don't need to be pasyisrael, if you have naturesoven breads, father sams pitas, those are py. for tonight skip the bread and keep it simple.

Raisin

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 4:41 pm
lots of stuff nowadays is pas yisrael since it is made in factories where the oven is never turned off.

Also I remember being in one oot community where one day a week stuff from a certain bakery/supermarket was pas yisrael.

pobody's nerfect

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 7:38 pm
I just found out that BJ's sells unbaked bagels, rolls, and bread, that have an O-K on them. you just have to ask them to open a new box for you and then you bring it home and bake it. im so excited!! not just bec of the whole pas yisroel thing for this week- but this means that even without a kosher bakery, we can have real bagels!! yay for out of towners!!

soldat

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 7:42 pm
the rohdes frozzen dinner rolls are really good, you just have to advance plan. I think costco sells par-baked baguettes, our grocery store also sells parbaked artisen rolls.

mltjm

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 10:17 pm
Trader Joe's has ready made pizza dough you can use for pizza, calzones, easy doughnuts...there's always down and dirty baking- scary, I know Smile, use challah and make french toast, Aunt Jemima's whole wheat pancake mix is OU pareve and really good...

flowerpower

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 10:21 pm
Potatoes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days