Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Food to serve before Yom Kippur fast?
Previous  1  2

montrealmommy

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 6:45 pm
everyone is talking about 2 meals - are you referring to before and after the fast, or am I missing something?

cookielady

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 6:47 pm
Meal before mincha and meal after mincha.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 6:52 pm
One meal in the lunch time, and one before the fast begins. And then we have a third meal after the fast is over.

montrealmommy

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 8:28 pm
Wow - I admire those of you who can do that - dh is working erev YK and will only be home after minchaso I guess we only have 1 "meal" although for breakfast I dh will have hearty oatmeal with apples and cinnamon and a veggie omlet.

When he gets home after mincha we are having fish with easy salads (avocado, israeli, etc...) and then chicken soup with kreplach and boiled chicken and if still hungry I have a zucchini kugel/bread and then compote for dessert - oh ya and lots of tea or water!

Dini

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 9:14 pm
mamacita wrote:
Grapes are also good before a fast.

2 years ago right after I gave birth I ate them on the fast LOL Just the right size and give loads of koach!

Montreal mommy, I don't think you should be serving fish though.....

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 10:38 pm
montrealmommy wrote:
Wow - I admire those of you who can do that - dh is working erev YK and will only be home after minchaso I guess we only have 1 "meal" although for breakfast I dh will have hearty oatmeal with apples and cinnamon and a veggie omlet.

When he gets home after mincha we are having fish with easy salads (avocado, israeli, etc...) and then chicken soup with kreplach and boiled chicken and if still hungry I have a zucchini kugel/bread and then compote for dessert - oh ya and lots of tea or water!

Skip the fish on the second meal, it’s explicitly written. Also, try to wash in the morning and make a meal of it.

NativeMom

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 10:40 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
montrealmommy wrote:

Skip the fish on the second meal, it’s explicitly written. Also, try to wash in the morning and make a meal of it.

what is the reason? we don't have fish the second meal because that's what my DH's family always did so I'm new to this (well not really new because we've been married 4/12 yrs) My family always had one meal.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 10:46 pm
Seudah HaMafseket, The Meal Before the Fast
1) This meal can actually be eaten any time during the day, although most people partake of it after mincha, the afternoon service. The meal must be concluded during the daytime.

2) One should only eat light foods which are not too salty in order not to make fasting difficult. (It is therefore the custom not to eat fish at this meal.)
Read it here
http://www.njop.org/html/YKPrepare.html

so far I see no source. My father always said it’s to avoid choking on the bones before the fast, weakening your system from the trauma.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 10:47 pm
Fish makes you thirsty I guess-that is another reason.

NativeMom

Post Sun, Oct 05 2008, 10:54 pm
thats why I was surprised that so many people were eating fish and chicken before the fast, now we do because thats my husbands custom but I never did that growing up.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 12:35 am
Not everyone holds about not eating fish the second meal. By my parents we did eat fish by both meals. My husband not.

viva

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 3:32 am
I'm planning on making mushroom barely soup, some kind of baked chicken (prob. with just plain spices) and couscous. Filling, but nothing too salty

montrealmommy

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 8:10 am
I find chicken much saltier than fish - hmm, I will have to ask dh what he wants to do -

FraydaSue

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 8:51 am
I'm picking up this old thread from last year. I want to serve the fish with terryaki sauce that was in the Mishpacha a couple of weeks ago for the first meal, but looking for ideas of what to serve with it. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 9:23 am
FraydaSue wrote:
I'm picking up this old thread from last year. I want to serve the fish with terryaki sauce that was in the Mishpacha a couple of weeks ago for the first meal, but looking for ideas of what to serve with it. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Soon imamother can go on lock status, we will no longer have to post... and the old posts can serve as an archive for reference. Rolling Laughter
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus