Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Sukka family party - kids entertainment ideas

gamekeeper

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 2:31 am
hi there

we are hosting my husbands annual family sukkah party at my home. we are expecting around 100 guests, and amongst them there are obviously many kids. every year a jumping castle is hired and that is all that the kids do.

this year we want to do something with a bit more tochen to it. something fun, but productive. the kids that I am targeting are the 6-12 year olds. we were thinking along the lines of scavenger hunt or treasure hunt with a sukkos theme. our garden is really big so we can really go to town!

any ideas are really appreciated!

TIA

merelyme

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 3:21 am
I love the idea of a scavenger hunt! Think about whether you'll divide up the kids into teams or just have each kid do it on their own, since they'll all be different ages.
Also there are restrictions on anything that's "maaseh uman - craftsman's work" on chol hamo'ed, which includes writing, etc.
I'd make a list of items that the kids have to find that can be found or gotten from their parents (e.g, 3 nickels, 2 dimes and a quarter), items connected to sukkos (you can just say, 3 items that are connected to Sukkos, and explain how they're connected - and the kid can come up with some way-out way the bicycle tire he found is connected), specific items that can be found easily on your property (pinecones, for example?), and two questions about Sukkos that the kids have to find the answer to (older kids should have a harder question than the younger ones, obviously. List questions for over age 10, under age 10, under age 7, etc.).
Prizes for everyone at the end - ices or something that they all eat then and enjoy - I'd tell them at the beginning that there's no big prize, it's just for fun.
I'd also put each child's list in a bag that the kid collects his/her items in. Alternatively, you could label each bag with the name of a specific child, and make up personalized lists for each kid - that way they're all looking for different things and you can make it more age-appropriate.
Sounds fun!

gamekeeper

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 3:27 am
ooh thanks for all the ideas! I knew what I wanted, but had a brain freeze over the details;)

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 5:24 am
We did decorate-your-own cupcakes event for the kids which was a hit.
Best for 6-12yo. You bake (or buy) plain cupcakes, pref yellow and cocoa, then supply the kids with various icings, icing pens (need a lot of these), choc buttoms, sprinkles, misc cake decorations. Make sure you have some adults on supervision, as well as wipes for gooey hands.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics