Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Using gel on shabbos

amother

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 1:31 am
Is it permitted for men to use gel for their peyos on shabbos, yom tov...?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 9:02 am
I don't see how - it's "sculpting".

Newly Wed

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 9:13 am
DH asked and was told it I'd allowed. Please ask your LOR

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 9:14 am
Newly Wed wrote:
DH asked and was told it I'd allowed. Please ask your LOR

really??? how?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 2:19 pm
The chassidsiche oilam do things differently. In Lubavitch, for example, we only wear rain bonnets if the rain and is really strong, and for ladies only.

But in BP and Willie, you will see them on men as well as ladies, and in a light rain too.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 5:33 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
The chassidsiche oilam do things differently. In Lubavitch, for example, we only wear rain bonnets if the rain and is really strong, and for ladies only.

But in BP and Willie, you will see them on men as well as ladies, and in a light rain too.

as long as it's tied, it's ruled as an article of clothes.

regarding gel, some use sugar water or orange juice, just davka not to use gel... but in actuality it's the same sculpting concept. Each to its own, there is no 1-rule that applies to everybody. there is a on-hand/on-the-other-hand decision for every group.

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 6:01 pm
well if you use gel before shabbos - there is still gel in the hair - just spray a little water and it still works ...

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 27 2009, 6:07 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

as long as it's tied, it's ruled as an article of clothes.

regarding gel, some use sugar water or orange juice, just davka not to use gel... but in actuality it's the same sculpting concept. Each to its own, there is no 1-rule that applies to everybody. there is a on-hand/on-the-other-hand decision for every group.

Well, we're strict about it - becuase we don't wear streimlach or hats on our sheitlach. the rule of thumb is not really "if it's tied".

Imaonwheels

Post Mon, Sep 28 2009, 2:28 pm
I was shown meforash by a rav in the SA and poskim that all gels are assur on Shabbos. That is why liquid soap has water addede to it and dishwashing liquid. Most hairdo stuff is forbidden on Shabbos as a toleda of boneh.

I would ask your LOR.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions