Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Priceline.com or hotwire.com

bnm

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 3:12 am
any experience with them? I'm trying to book a hotel and don't know if I can trust them.

katb

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 4:36 am
We used priceline.co.uk to book a trip to Washington, Boston and NY. We got amazing deals on the rooms, especially in Boston, and the hotels didn't mind upgrading us as were on honeymoon even thought we had obviously already got a good deal on priceline. The only thing was the hotel in NY was a bit weird but it was fine and definitely a good deal. I would use them again.

BUT you need to know what you are doing. There is a way of ensuring you get the star class you want in the area you want, I can't remember it but if you go to www.moneysavingexpert.co.uk and search for priceline or "secret hotels" it gives you step by step instructions.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 6:51 am
Priceline usually groups us a bunch of hotels in the same areas/price categories. So you'll need to know which hotels are included in the band you're bidding for.

I think one of travellers forums like fodors.com or flyertalk.com has threads dedicated to bidding strategies, discussing what kind of bid price for specific destinations/dates were accepted.

You can start bidding low and gradually raising it if it doesn't get accepted.
You also need to be aware the bids are binding--no cancellation, changes AFAIK.

sky

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 8:44 am
Check out betterbidding.com

they predict pretty accurately what hotel you are most likely to get on priceline and hotwire. I've only used it for hotwire but it was very accurate. You have to find their main list for the city you are looking for. I'm almost never suprised.

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 8:46 am
I've used priceline about a million times and its always been fine!

catonmylap

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 8:50 am
BidLess Travel-http://www.bidlesstravel.com/
Better Bidding Forum-http://betterbidding.com/
Bidding for Travel -http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/

hila

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 9:07 am
Be warned - we wanted to use priceline.com, butthey would not take a US credit card with an Israeli billing address.

And it is very hard on those sites to request twin beds, and hard to see if there is a fridge in the room - both of these are really helpful for the kosher traveller

sky

Post Tue, Sep 29 2009, 9:13 am
Twin beds are hard. You can always call the hotel immediately after reserving to ask that they put it on your request but there is no gaurantee they will be available, same with no smoking rooms. There is no garantee for a no smoking room either.
That is why I like better bidding because you can check out the hotel amenities - like a fridge - before reserving.

B'h we have only had luck. And because we do road trips and many times don't know were we will end up we will sometimes reserve a hotel online after walking in and twice it has been 50% cheaper then what the front desk told us (we have similar results using hotel coupons found at rest stops)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics